xii. dinner

IT WAS EVENING NOW and all of the Davies and all of the Collins had migrated to the dining room for one of their special dinners

IT WAS EVENING NOW and all of the Davies and all of the Collins had migrated to the dining room for one of their special dinners. The dining room was huge - it had to be to seat such a large family. Of course, it wasn't every day that the entire Davies clan got together, but when they did, it was always at Pat and Gerald's place. It had enough room to squeeze everyone in and more. 

Collins had always teased Louise about being 'a rich girl' causing the brunette to laugh with him. But in reality, the Davies weren't rich. In fact, Pat and Gerald bought the large house while it was being knocked down - it was a bargain. Plus, they had builders and constructors in the family so with the promise of a hot meal, a load of cuppas and a bit of a wage, the house was complete at a steal of a price. So no, the Davies weren't the most well-off family in the UK, they were just extremely lucky.

All the women of the family helped Pat bring out dinner to the table from the kitchen and soon enough, everyone was looking in and enjoying themselves. At one end of the table sat Pat, Gerald, Margret, Wilfred and the rest of the older Davies. At the other end, you could spot Chrissie and Angus having a swell time with other children. Leaving the middle of the table for the young adults of the family. 

Louise was squeezed between Jack and Tommy, with Carey opposite her. She eagerly dug into her food, resulting in a muffled chuckle from Jack and a gentle squeeze to her hand under the table.

Once the dinner was coming to an end, Jack stood up from his seat and asked for everyone's attention politely - which was a harder task considering the noise coming from all ages. Louise smiled up at him teasingly before kicking her sister's leg under the table. Carey nodded, understanding his sister's silent gaze. Together, the two sisters dropped their cutlery to their plated with a clang and stood up hastily. "Shut it!" They both shouted over the noise, causing the noise to turn to silence immediately. "Thank you," they finished sweetly before sitting down again.

Jack stared in amazement at the two sisters before grinning, a chuckled vibrating through his chest. "Right, 'ello, everyone," Jack spoke, causing a few people to say it back. "I'd like to say a few words. Firstly, I'd like to praise Pat on this lovely dinner - it was perfect, so thank you for that," Pat blushed with a hand to her heart. "I'd also like to thank all of yous for welcoming my lovely family with open arms. Ye know, Louie and me were very nervous for tonight. All we want is for both families to get along."

Gerald and Wilfred nodded happily. "That we have, son!" They both shouted together, resulting in a cheer from the rest of the table.

Jack chuckled. "Right, there was a reason for me standing up here, I promise," he laughed, getting a round of chuckles from his friends around him. He turned his attention to the beaming brunette beside him. "Louie. You're the best woman I've ever met. You're still the stunning, smart, hotheaded nurse I met 7 years ago, and there's absolutely nothing I would change about you. You're perfect. You're also the first woman that has ever been approved by me mother, so that's something as well," he spoke, resulting in a few playful curses from Margret and laughs from the adults. "Seeing you with your the little Davies and me brother and sister made me realise something that I have always known. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. So, Louise Davies," he spoke, stepping away from the table to stand behind his chair. Many of the other adults began to mutely chatter with excitement so they realised what Jack was doing. Jack knelt to one knee and Louise began to feel the familiar sting of tears behind her eyes and the tingle in her nose. Jack dug in his pocket and revealed a small blue velvet box. He popped it open to reveal a simple gold ring with a small white diamond laid perfectly in the centre of the band. It was perfect. "Will ye do me the honour of marrying me?"

Louise's eyes glazed over with fresh tears as she stood from her seat, moving to stand in front of Jack. Jack gazed up at her with a hopeful smile. Louise laughed through her tears as one slid down her cheek. "Of course I will, Jackie," Louise declared happily with a massive nod. A loud round of cheers erupted from the table as Jack stood up from the floor and enclosed Louise into a hug. He spun her round in the air before placing her back on her feet. He pressed a loving kiss to her lips.

It wasn't as passion-filled as their first. It was more loving, tender and caring - the sort of kiss a husband would press to his wife's lips as they went to bed. It was small and short-lived, yet it held all the emotions he wanted to show. Just like one they had shared before they separated all those years ago. It was perfect.

Jack slid the ring on Louise's ring finger as they foreheads were pressed together. Soon, the couple's embrace became larger as Andrew, Viola, Carey, Matthew, Alex and Tommy crushed themselves into their hug.

Louise was wrong before. Now, she felt in a state of pure bliss. This. This topped any emotion she had ever felt. She had never felt happier in her entire life as all of her family and all of his family congratulated them on their engagement. Never felt happier with the man she loved right by her side.