29 - Tribute (2 of 2)

We waited. Minutes passed.

To my disappointment, Vincent wasn’t shouting this time. I wished I could hear what they were talking about, but I figured it won’t matter anymore. Judgment had been passed for me.

“Why, Aramis?” Luci suddenly murmured. “Why do you keep hurting Vincent like this?”

Instead of a retort, I gave her a smile. “Would you rather get rid of me after I turn? That would be way more difficult with me fighting back an all. Of course by that time, it wouldn’t make you as guilty, if at all.” Still a retort in the end.

Belial let out another of her pretentious signature sighs. “Actually, ain’t Aramis’ case similar to the experiments you did a couple centuries ago with that boy… What’s his name, Luci?”

With her hands fisted, she threw Belial a glare. Her eyes glowed faintly green, the round pupils lengthening into reptilian slits. Static air filled the hallway, making the hairs on my arms stand and my hearing muted.

Only when the door opened did the air pressure disappeared.

Startled, Luci blinked and her eyes too, were back to normal.

Vincent and Sathariel walked out of the room with bleak facades like the Apocalypse was coming.

“Prepare a tribute, Belial,” said the devil with the all too familiar expression that said I’ll regret this but I’m doing it anyway. “We shall ask Eldest’s permission to crossover”—he gazed at me from the corner of his eyes—“to Halo.”

It was the first time Belial allowed herself some eagerness. She all but rubbed it in Luci and Levi’s faces with that grin.

“I’ve got just the thing.” Then she spun on her heels and trotted away.

Now, with Belial gone, I was left to endure Levi’s impassive glares and Luci’s heartbreaking sad face. Two days ago, those might have worked on me. Now, I just wished I could care. Or grow back a conscience.

Maybe, it was Alessandra’s callousness infecting me. I didn’t try to fight or question it though. It made painful things easier to accept.

So I was losing it. Bite me.

Vincent had grabbed a hold of my hand before I could do something totally uncalled for. With brisk steps, he led me to the orchard.

He looked at me. I looked back at him and our eyes glued for a while. This time, I didn’t feel anything. If he was sending me a secret message, my brain was unattended at the moment.

Only then did I notice the redness around his eyes. Did he just cry in front of Sathariel so he could persuade him to let him go back to Halo and save Vladimir?

Strangely, I found that laughable. Just the idea of it should have brought me to tears. But I felt nothing. I was starting to hate myself and that just made the void inside me larger. I was slowly disappearing, turning into a big black hole.

His brows very much wanted to meet each other. “I won’t be gone long. I’m going to bring Vladimir and the others back.”

“Just you?” I distanced myself from him. I couldn’t focus. “You’re going on your own?”

Hesitation flashed on his eyes. “N-no. Sathariel insists I take a few of his men with me—“

“You’re leaving me here?”

He didn’t answer. Silence means yes.

“You can’t.” My voice was shaking. I shook my head as I thought of ten reasons why he shouldn’t leave. “Y-you haven’t even recovered from the torture. And your leg’s not healed yet.”