33 - Better than Never (1 of 2)

As we advanced to the labyrinth’s borders, Mei placed a hand on my shoulder. “Aramis, is something bothering you?”

I looked around. Sixty people were divided into four groups. Mei, Vladimir and I, with seven others were in the support team. Kyoshiro and the Elementals led the long-range assault team while Amyr, Belial, Levi, the fisher folks and other familiars became the frontrunners. Flanking them was Manu’s troops as directed by Archie.

The pathway to the castle was swarming with sentries. The golden bridge’s construction was still halfway through, perhaps due to the constant battling between the two factions. Barricades and fortifications surrounded the moat.

It was like they were expecting us.

“Acceptance,” I murmured, sparing Mei a glance. “Do you know what it means?”

She paused for a thought, tilting her head. “Acceptance of another or acceptance of one’s self?”

I laughed. “Exactly.”

A crooked rod of light shot from the sky.

“That’s our cue,” Vladimir said, facing the others behind us.

“Any word of inspiration?” I asked him.

He tugged the sleeves of his templar coat and said, “I know most of you are thinking this is an impossible mission. Suicide even.”

I looked around. That was exactly what everyone’s faces told me. But there was something else there: something that defeated any kind of fear.

With a nod of encouragement from Kyoshiro, Vladimir continued. “We have strategy, righteousness and heart on our side. Of course, it would be better if we had more people. But it’s our rooks and bishops against their pawns. I say let them bring forth their knights! We will vanquish all in our path until we rescue our brethren!”

No one cheered. Silence was our friend. Still, faces lit up. Cataclysts were raised. A quiet understanding spread all over the troops.

Finally, Vladimir cleared his throat. “If Vincent were here, he’d say two things: whoever gets in your way, slash the hell out of them and whatever you do, do not die.”

That actually made me smile.

We sneaked quietly behind the trees lining the pathway to the castle.

Hunkered behind the rose bushes, Vladimir picked up the dog whistle dangling from his neck and placed it between his lips. He glanced back at Kyoshiro, who in turn replied with a nod.

Kyoshiro’s familiars pushed the crossbow contraption forward. Louise, two birds and a giant iguana positioned themselves behind it. Antoinette stretched and took her place in front of the crossbow.

Vladimir blew on the whistle. Even with my acute hearing, I didn’t detect the sound. But the Elementals did.

Antoinette’s fur bristled with electricity. She lowered her head to the ground as if kissing it before chuffing to the skies. Clouds rolled like boiling foam. Thunderclaps shook the earth, parting the skies for a cascade of lightning that struck the ground where the sentries roamed. It killed a few and created a distraction for most.

For an added measure, Antoinette charged the arrow nocked on the giant crossbow. Miu and Eun Jae fired towards the bridge.

Once the arrow hit the pavement, lightning rained on a good ten-yard radius around it. The fletching clicked open, discharging charged wires every which way, bringing down more than half of the sentries in a few seconds.