Reapers Special - Sworn (2 of 2)

I hurried to one of the stallions and mounted on it. Before Luci could climb up the other, horse I offered her a hand, which she took rather enthusiastically. With one pull, I hoisted her nearly weightless form behind me.

Her arms automatically wrapped around my waist.

I glared at it. “With all due respect, lady, I told you I don’t like being touched and I haven’t changed my mind about it now.”

“Really.” Her little tone challenged me. “Then why make me ride with you and leave the other horse behind?”

I clicked my heels on the stallion’s side. It neighed, front legs leaving the ground. “Aramis is tired. She’ll need it. Now, keep your distance.”

“Alright,” she answered happily, tightening her arms around me. She was more persistent that I’d thought.

I saw Aramis watching us from the doorway of the laboratory, her long hair carried by the wind. The look on her face was all too familiar. It reminded me of that one time she broke her hand after punching the Cruiser’s hood.

With a grunt, I reeled the horse towards the town. It bucked and galloped into the woods. As we rode, I speculated if I had enough time. If Aramis had enough time left for a quick-fix. If there was a remedy at all.

Without realizing it, we arrived at Belial’s farm.

“What are we doing here?” asked Luci.

I got off the horse. “Go to your father and explain the situation. I’ll see if Belial can do something about Aramis’… condition.”

Right as she began to complain, I slapped the stallion’s rear and watched them go like the wind.

Through the traffic of carriages, animals, people and trolleys, I weaved my way up the orchard asking people who turned up their noses as soon as I’d come into view. Only one—a boy—was kind enough to tell me that she was resting on her lodestone.

Two steps at a time, I climbed up the narrow rudimentary stairs leading to the top of the hill the orchard was founded on. Cursing, I stopped to do away with my right boot, tossing it aside as I went. The busy villagers wasted precious time ogling me, briefly abandoning their chores as I slipped away.

Soon, I recognized Belial sitting at the pinnacle of the precariously inclined lodestone. Without a chance to catch my breath, I scaled its narrow and whittled surface.

“What’s it this time?” Belial groaned indignantly as soon as I reached her.

“Aramis is turning,” I panted.

“That, I already know,” she mumbled to the mouth of her trusty flask. “Tell me somethin’ I don’t.”

“Cerberus attacked her! You said she won’t turn with whatever that stuff you slathered on her.”

There was a mysterious glint on her eyes as she glanced at me. “Do tell.”

Impatiently, I related to her the details of the recent events. All that I knew of, at least. She nodded once. The rest of the time, she looked uninterested. As if she’d rather jump off that lodestone than listen to me.

When I was done, she said “And what do you plan to do?”

“You’re the healer. You tell me.” I was frantic. Every second wasted made the chances of me keeping Aramis safe slimmer.

“I told you. Resurrect her.”

My brows very much wanted to meet each other. I breathed out, closing my eyes. “She won’t do it. There must be another way,” I mumbled through my teeth.