Chapter 16;

Harry's POV

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

That's all I'd heard for the past so many hours. I couldn't tell you how long I'd been sat here, or how long I'd be exchanging glances between the heart monitor, Holly's battered face and the drugs feeding into her body.

When I first got the call I thought it was some sick joke, I had told Gemma to shut up, to not joke around now.

But sadly, it wasn't a joke. She'd been hit by a car. The police are suspecting it to be a hit and run, they took her handbag but not her phone because that was in her pocket. A nice guy who was driving by saw it all happen and stopped, he rang the last person who she had text who was Gemma and told her what happened and here we are.

The first few hours we weren't allowed to see her, they had to put her in a coma in order to feed her what she needed, her body needed to recover and the only way it could was via a coma, they said she wouldn't be in pain either, which was good.. I guess.

She hadn't woken up, they were unsure when she would wake up. The memories of Natalie were flooding through my brain, at one point Gemma had to take me out to get some air as I'd broken down into a panic attack.

I'd already lost Natalie, I'm not losing Holly.

Gemma had told me several times to go home but I couldn't. I knew Holly wasn't mine anymore but I would be damned if I left this hospital room before she woke up.

When Eleanor and Louis arrived Gemma left, kissing my cheek and promising to be back tomorrow/today - I didn't know the time or day, or date even.

"Have you rang her mum?" Eleanor asks wiping a tear as she sat beside her unconscious best friend holding her bruised and cut up hand.

I shake my head. "I just came here, I couldn't do much else."

Louis rubs my back. "I know this will bring back memories-"

"Don't," I interrupt softly. "Not now, please."

Louis nods sitting silent.

"I'm going to ring her mum then James," Eleanor announces taking out her phone heading for the door.

"James?" I frown. "Why? He's in New York, he can't do anything."

Eleanor gives me a stern look. "He needs to know, he's her boyfriend, remember? He'll fly over no doubt, he's like that." Eleanor left, the door shutting quietly as she held her phone to her ear.

"I know it's hard but, he has to know." Louis commented.

"I know. I guess I was just being selfish. It's about Holly, not me."

He pats me leg. "Exactly."

-

When Holly's mother arrived along with Sophia I left to change my clothes and eat something, I kissed Holly's bruised forehead softly, brushing the hair out of her face promising to be back soon.

I texted Gemma to see how she was and what time she was heading back to see Holly, my answer was a simple 'no' and 'in around an hour'. I knew Gemma was going to be thinking about Natalie too. They were close, Natalie was/is Isobel's godmother, she was there throughout the pregnancy and drove Gemma to the hospital when she went into labour.

Returning Holly's mother was now sat outside with a hot drink, Eleanor beside her, a sympathetic look on her face.

"How is she?" I ask, my voice hoarse.

Holly's mother shakes her head. "The same, they said she isn't progressing or regressing. She's stable. Just stable."

My heart fluttered. Stable is good, very good. Right? I know it must be good because Natalie was never stable, she never got the chance to be stable.

"Thats.. that's better than-"

"Than what?" Her mother shot her head up. "They don't know when she'll wake up, it could be tomorrow, in three weeks, six months.." She starts to sob again, Eleanor comforting her.

I swallow. "I know," I say softly.

Walking back in, Louis was sat beside Holly reading a magazine whilst Sophia typed on her phone. "You guys can go, I've got this."

Sophia smiled leaving the room quickly whilst Louis stayed. "You holding up okay?"

"Trying,"

"She's going to be okay,"

I look at Holly, her eyes swollen, her lip cut, her cheek bruised so badly it hurt to look at it for too long.

"It's Holly, of course she'll be okay." I try to smile.

Louis gives me a hug before telling me he's going to take Eleanor home for a bit - she too refused to leave Holly until she woke up.

Once Louis left I sat alone beside Holly, I was in silence, just my breathing, the heart monitor and Holly's oxygen mask.

"When I first met you," I start; my hand taking hers softly, although she wasn't conscious I didn't want to touch any of her bruises. "I thought you were a snobby, rich, leach. I hated you." I laugh. "But then, then Eleanor and Louis meddled didn't they? By accident of course, but thank god they did." I shake my head. "You are the best thing that has ever happened to me Holly McIntyre." I kiss her hand. "Remember when we use to dance in just our underwear to Beyoncé? I use to tell you that my moves were creative whilst you rolled your eyes - you always rolled your eyes at me, God, I'd..i'd do anything for you to roll your eyes at me, even if we aren't together, even if you don't love me anymore.. You know, realising you moved on was one of the hardest things to face, but I get it now. It was my wakeup call. I will always love you, no matter what, because you're Holly." I smile, wiping a stray tear. "You're.. you're the girl who used to steal my socks and shirts for bed, cry over adverts, dots your i's with cute hearts. How could I ever not love you? That's just.. that's just not right." I shake my head kissing her hand again. "Falling in love with you was the best thing I ever did, and I hope falling for me was too." I speak softly.

Just as I kiss her hand again her heart monitor starts beeping fast, lines and numbers appearing. My eyes widen in panic. "Nurse?" I shout opening the door, within seconds I'm taken out of the room whilst three or four doctors and nurses pile in. I try to see what's going on but all blinds are closed, the door shut.

What the hell is going on?