nineteen - try that again

10 months later...

Yajel

January is cold even in Southern California, my first semester of college has made me miss this small rowdy street. Next semester, I'll definitely try online because being so far from Freeridge was not something I enjoyed.

My black ensemble blends with the crowd as we take our seats in the church. I make it my purpose to sit in the back and to not be noticed. I haven't spoken to anyone except my brother since that night I kicked Spooky out.

At the time it was for the best, cut everyone off and start anew. But I missed my new friends, my new home, and my new beau, or whatever he was.

"We will be serving food at our home and all are welcomed. You ask that you bring your love for Olivia and Ruby as we go through this tough time."

Ruby's mother pats her eyes as she steps down from the stage and the front to rows clear out. The rest follow until everyone stands outside, I get up from my seat and walk down the aisle cautiously. Her casket is still open. Her skin looks so pale and stiff, she's dress in teal and I can't help but smile. She hated the color, but it always looked so good against her tone.

"She would've hated that dress", Monse says walking beside me.

I look to her and give a small smile, she returns her own and we turn back to Olivia. I'm not sure we realized we were sobbing in each others embrace until we try to stop. Olivia was Monse's first real girl friend and she left before they could have their first prom. She didn't deserve any of this, she was just a kid.

"You can't leave like that dude", she says wiping her eyes and softly punching me in the shoulder.

"It won't happen again dummy", I say grabbing her and turning her around. We walk outside to my very new black Jeep.

"Where did you find the money for this?", she asks.

"Selling to the white kids on campus", I answer as she buckles her seat belt.

"You know if this is how it pays maybe I should sell, I could get Cesar the hell out of here", she says looking out the window.

"Mmm he's still on the street huh?", I ask stopping at a sign and looking both ways.

"Yea, we've been staying together but my father comes home soon and I'm not sure where he'll go next", she rants, she continues to talk about their own relationship issues and I can't help but zone out.

Cesar still bugs me, and if there was ever a choice I'm protecting Monse over him every time. She's bright and he seems to only drag her down.

"And how about you and that lady you said was your mother. Did you ever message her?", I ask taking a left turn onto the Martinez's street.

"No I'm scared, do you think it's a stupid idea? I mean she did leave me, she's got to be somewhat unfit", she says.

"Well kid I know if I got the chance to speak to my mother, I would take that head on. So use this option while you have it", I hop down from my car and she walks to my side. Ruby stands just a few steps ahead of us looking over Olivia's memorial.

I give her a nod and she walks over to the grieving boy, followed by Jamal to his left. I walk past the group into the home, I speak with Ruby's family and grab a plate. Sitting on a chair in the living room, I enjoy my first home cooked meal in a long time and watch the crowd filter through.

People give their condolences, people bring dishes, and children run around not aware of the occasion. The crowd gets lighter as the night drags on and when his father lets out his fourth yawn I find that as a sign to leave.

"Ms. Martinez I'm going to leave, thank you for the food and I'm so sorry for the all that you've been through", I say placing my plate in the trash.

"Oh sweetie please be careful going home, and you are welcome anytime. I know we have all been effected so don't be a stranger", she says wrapping me in her arms and kissing my forehead as only a mother can.

With a smile we break apart and I agree to come over more often, maybe even join the family for a church service.