six - rescue squad

Yajel

"I'm grown Ruby I don't do Halloween. I'll just steal your candy when you come home", you smile and bite into another chocolate covered almond.

"You can't just sit home when there are people willing to give free candy out", Jamal protests.

"Besides you have the midget advantage I'm sure people are going to think you are a fifth grader", Ruby jokes and I throw a nut at his forehead.

I mill it over and compare it to my original plans for the night: sit at home and eat unhealthy foods until I pass out on the couch. Not exactly ideal for Halloween. Besides if I go with the crew I might find some free alcohol, or art inspiration.

"Fine, but I'm bringing my pets", I say with a smile and Ruby sighs.

"Can we be normal teens tonight?", Ruby says and Cesar gives a confused look.

"You're bringing pets Trick-or-Treating?", my smile widens.

"That's what she call her guns", Ruby says stealing almonds from my bag, giving me a pleading look.

"Fine, pets stay at home", you give in.

-

"Should I be a ghost or a ninja? Something sexy", I say to King trying to find clothes in my closet.

"I think you should just stay at home, it's dangerous out here", he says and then pauses. We both laugh and continue looking for a costume.

"I can wear an over sized grey shirt, and baggy grey pants and then my grey Jordan's", I'm a genius.

"And what are you going to be?", King arches his brow.

"A rock!", I fall onto the bed in laughter and he looks at me in disappointment.

"I really hate you sometimes", he turns and leaves my room, I strip my clothes and get into the shower to clean up for Halloween. The steam fills the room and I feel so warm I almost don't want to get out. But after twenty-five minutes I step on the bath mat and moisturize my smooth bronze skin.

Throwing on a random set of under garments I drop my towel and exit the bathroom. Spooky scares the living shit out of me ruffling in my closet.

"Aye vato I almost fucking shot you! Dios mio!", I clutch my chest and realize I am severely underdressed. But I decide to play it cool.

Spooky looks up from closet holding a duffel bag I do not remember placing there.

"So y'all stashing things in my closet now?", I brush through my messy hair.

"It's the last place anyone would look, besides", he takes a step back, "it's a mess in there."

"What if I had adult items in there?", I ask putting on my large dusty grey sweatshirt.

"I didn't know you got down like that little miss", he says jokingly and I roll my eyes putting on the rest of my clothes. With a large tug I pull the pants up and the belt loops snaps from the tension, this happens EVERY DAY.

"Maybe you should buy pants that fit over your...", he trails off but looks at my bum, prominent in the cargos I just put on.

"Suck a dick and get out", I say. I'm slightly sensitive about my posterior.

"No need to get defensive", he grabs the bag and heads to the door, "I like it." He winks and I throw a pillow in his direction just as he slams my door closed.

I wanted to hate him but he was growing on me. Maybe it was the tattoos, or his dark, menacing stare, or the way his muscles looked in those wife beaters he wore. Something about him was just so enticing.