39

"Auntie? What's wrong?"

Talia and her nephews were journeying to the mountain, now nearly halfway across the lake. They had just passed the ruined town, and all that surrounded them was open water and peaceful silence. She sat impatiently in the middle of the barge as the boys rowed on, bouncing her leg in anxiety.

"I'm fine, Fili."

"No, you're not. If it's your injuries, I'll stop this boat right now—"

"I told you before, it's not that." Talia sighed. She was being truthful, but it was hard to convince them of that when she couldn't talk about what actually bothered her. "Just keep rowing."

However, the boys declared that they wanted to take a look at her injuries immediately, although she was perfectly content to wait. It was understandable, for her dislocated shoulder and probably broken ankle weren't about to heal themselves, but she knew her physical state was in just as much danger as Thorin's mentality. She had left him alone in Erebor, with the treasure hoard that had taken his grandfather's sanity and threatened his own. If he was not the same as before, then her oath to his family would be broken.

"Auntie, let us help you. Erebor can wait."

"He's right. Uncle would want to see you healed."

"It's not about my wellbeing, Kili—it's about his. I must get to him, for I fear there's little time left."

"Time for what?"

Talia could only glance at her nephews. "If I am right, and if we do not hurry, Thorin is in grave danger. For now, let's leave it at that."

"Fine." Fili dropped his oars, causing Kili to do the same. "If you're going to be vague, then you owe us the right to tend to you."

Talia groaned. "It's only for your own good—"

"It always is, isn't it?" Kili rebuked, clambering over to her. He was happy to look after his aunt, since he needed something to take his mind off Tauriel. "Come on. Let's look at that shoulder."

As she looked between the two princes, she knew she would have to acquiesce. Sighing, she shrugged off her fur coat and allowed the boys to peek at her shoulder.

"We're going to have to reset it." Fili grimaced, watching Kili gag at the awkward angle.

She rolled her eyes at the latter. "Have you ever done it before?"

"No."

"You'll be fine." Talia assured them, moving closer. "One firm pull to get it back into place. Don't tell me when; it'll only be more—"

A sickening CRACK sounded over the open water, causing the nephews to flinch and their aunt to sigh in relief. It was a sharp pain, but that meant they had done it correctly. She would never admit it, but she was grateful that they had insisted on looking after her. Their persistence warmed her heart.

"Good. Thank you."

Fili and Kili exchanged a glance, seeing no sign of hurt in her eyes.

"How are you so..."

"Calm?" She offered. "I've lived a long life before this quest. I am no stranger to pain."

A grave silence fell over them, guilt encasing her nephews. Sometimes, her smile shone so bright that they forgot she had been captive for over half of her life. They wished they hadn't been so foolish, but Talia could offer them no words of comfort. She knew that if she tried, whatever peace she gave them would be a lie.

Instead, she smiled gently. "Come on. I'll look at my foot while you row."

So the boys pushed on, taking up their oars as Talia made a makeshift brace. They reached the shore in record time, for they were all anxious to return to the mountain, and abandoned the barge in their pursuit. After practically hauling their aunt through Dale, they reached the front gate. Fili and Kili stepped inside tentatively, their arms tightly wound around Talia's waist to support her.