1

"I think it is best to review the finances to begin." The elder dwarf grumbled, raising his viewing glass to his eye as he surveyed his advisors.

"Your Majesty, our wealth has never been greater. The treasure halls are full, the city of Dale bustles with a market of unmatched capacity, and those within the mountain could not be more content." One dwarf commented, earning a respectful nod from the King.

"I could not feel more pride, though I am not shocked to say so in the least!" Thror bellowed, causing all around him to rumble with laughter. "Are you surprised, my son?"

"No, Father. Not at all." Thrain's grin widened, his words earning him a clap on the back from Thror. "Not in the slight—"

The large oak doors burst open, bringing the reverie of the coveted meeting to a halt. A young lad, aged no more than seven years, was bent over, his tiny lungs gasping for breath. His thick black hair, falling at his shoulders, concealed his face, though the sapphire blue of his tunic revealed his identity.

"Has... anyone... seen her?" His light voice huffed as he straightened, showing the redness in his cheeks. To the amusement of his onlookers, it was clear he did not know what he was interrupting.

"Who, Prince Thorin?"

"Talia."

"Who else, Master Fundin?" Thror laughed. Normally, the King would be in a state of slight annoyance at an interruption, but today he was amused by his grandson. He was in a good mood. "Who else does he have his eye set on other than Talia Rue?"

"She's not still hiding, is she?" The young prince begged, not registering his grandfather's words.

"Why was she hiding, Thorin?" His father asked.

"Hide and seek."

"Well, she's not here, laddie." Fundin smiled at the poor lad, who looked like he could pass out any minute.

He sighed again. "Only one other place, then."

"Talia!" Thorin called, rushing out of the room once again and down the halls, skidding around tight corners. His little boots slid as he dodged pillars, people, and every other obstacle that the kingdom of Erebor, his kingdom, threw his way. It wasn't long before he collided head-on with not one, but two dwarfs similar to his size, knocking him down to the ground.

"Thorin!" Balin laughed at the prince, giving him a hand and helping him stand. He, being ten years Thorin's elder, hadn't taken too much of the force of his sprint. His brother, on the other hand, couldn't say the same.

"OI!" Dwalin grunted, standing once again with great difficulty and little help from Balin after Thorin had knocked him down. The dwarf was only five years older than Thorin, but already had the snark of a teenager. "Thanks for the hand, brother." He added sarcastically.

"Anytime."

"Why are you in such a rush, laddie?" The younger of the brothers asked, now recovered.

"Talia... hide... can't find..."

"Of course not." Balin snorted. "How long has it been, now?"

"Almost an hour."

"Thorin!" Dwalin laughed merrily. "No wonder you look so desperate!"

"She's in the gardens, laddie." His brother winked at the prince, who was already off. "Ashenstones, eh? Impossible to tie down."

"Balin, they're not even ten yet."

"Doesn't mean they haven't started something." Balin retorted, watching the young prince rush after his companion.

Thorin reached the gardens in under five minutes, now utterly winded from his chase and in dire need of rest. The prince flopped onto one of the benches, back to the stone and eyes to the sky, absorbing the fluffiness of the clouds as he panted. Though he hadn't found the one person he was looking for, the child was not entirely sure that he cared, now that he could breathe.