11

"Engaged?" Balin said as Dwalin choked on his drink. He felt his jaw dropping yet again, for what seemed to be the millionth time this week. "We didn't even make a bet yet!" He exclaimed, elbowing his brother.

"When did this happen?"

"Last night. We stayed late with Dis and the baby." Thorin grinned at their reactions as Talia giggled alongside him.

"Yes. Dis said we were waiting too long, so he slid the ring on my finger and put an end to her complaints."

"That is..." The older brother began.

"Such a strange way to propose."

Thorin shrugged at Dwalin's words, leaning back in the booth and sipping his pint. "It worked, didn't it?"

"How did the ring end up in your pocket? Were you planning to propose already?"

Talia looked at Thorin, eager for the answer. Now that she thought back to last night, it was odd that Thorin just so happened to be carrying the ring.

"I wasn't going to propose, but the jeweler had just finished with it yesterday morning. He was fitting it to your finger, and I had picked it up right before I met Talia for our meal. But when Dis pointed it out, I figured there wasn't a better time or place than right there." Thorin looked down to Talia's hands, fumbling with the ring on her finger he talked. "As much as I hate to admit it, she's always right. I don't know why I waited so long, Talia." He looked up at her. There was a seriousness in his gaze that shocked the woman.

"I would've waited forever, Thorin." She replied simply, wrapping her hand around his. Balin and Dwalin exchanged a happy glance as he looked up at her. They could not be more overjoyed for their future King.

"So, when's the wedding?" Balin asked as his brother resumed his attention to his pint.

"Tomorrow."

Yet again, Dwalin choked on the ale, hacking up a storm into his elbow as Talia laughed loudly. Balin rolled his eyes in annoyance, patting his brother's back a little harder than necessary to help him cough. "You've got to learn how to mind yourself, brother!"

"Only because it's going to be small." Talia added, clarifying for the choking dwarf. "If we could have it our way, we would just sign the papers and be done with it, but because I'm marrying a damned prince..."

"There must be some sort of ceremony." The prince finished. "Of course, you're both invited, as is my grandfather, my father, Dis, Beldan, Fili, and Frerin. And, for the service, we'll be owing you our thanks."

"Of course." Balin smiled, shaking his head. "I'd be honored."

"Thank you, Balin. We wouldn't want it to be anyone else."

"Well, we couldn't be happier for you two. It's about damn time." Balin smiled, downing his ale and standing. "Speaking of time, we're on one of the night watches. We'd best be off."

"Thanks to you, Talia." Dwalin groaned, making her chuckle and smile softly in his direction. As Head of the Guard, she had to schedule everyone at every post at all times, and the brothers had finally made it to the unlucky portion of the rotation.

"Sorry." She smiled sheepishly. "Here," She said, tossing a few coins on the table. "For your ales and dinner."

"That makes up for it." Her burly friend grinned, kissing her forehead before following his brother out of the tavern.

Talia sighed, watching them go as she bit into her last piece of bread. Chewing, she paid for the remainder of the tab, pulling her and her fiancée to their feet. "I'd better go help Dis. She was managing well at lunch, but I'm sure in the few hours that've gone by she's nearly lost it."