35

"As soon as we have the weapons, we'll make straight for the mountain." Thorin whispered to the Company, nudging Nori forward. "Go."

The dwarves and Bilbo were just outside the armory building, having left Bard's home after the sun had set. Unlike Talia and Balin had suggested, their leader had decided to go to the armory and break into Lake-Town's supply of weapons. The pair exchanged a glance as Nori makes ran for the building, using his momentum to climb on the rest of the dwarves as they piled in front of the window. Although Bard had told them that the Master was nothing more than a greedy fool, they knew he was still the one in charge; one slip-up and they could be jailed, meaning they would miss their chance to reach the mountain. 

"You must know this is foolish." Talia shot him a look as the other dwarves filtered in through the unguarded window. Balin couldn't help but listen in, nodding along with Talia.

"Maybe." Thorin admitted. "But should anything happen that would cause the dragon to wake, we cannot kill him with a pike hook."

"Then we should be searching for Black Arrows."

"As far as we know, the Black Arrows are gone. You saw your father with no more than two remaining. If anything, they are lying under the rubble that is Dale."

"They are the only thing that can pierce his hide."

"Who said we had to aim for his hide?" Thorin pulled his wife closer. "I saw your dagger in his eye on that fateful day. We know there are other ways to kill him."

Talia sighed, sparing a glance at Balin. The elder dwarf could only shrug back, for he could not deny Thorin had a point. "I don't like it."

"You don't have to." He fired back, motioning to the few dwarves remaining outside. "Go on."

Talia rolled her eyes, scaling their backs and hopping through the window. Upon her arrival, she saw the dwarves arming themselves with piles and piles of weapons. She wanted to scold them for their greed, but it was warranted, since these weapons were of beautiful make. Talia eventually met with Fili and Kili, exchanging daggers and swords wordlessly to find what best suited each other.

Minutes later, all of the dwarves were inside. Thorin was the last to hoist himself through the window, gesturing to Talia to help him collect extra weapons. Soon, her arms were loaded with swords as the dwarves began to filter through the building and down the steps, successfully evading the sleeping guards.

When only the last of the sons of Durin remained, Talia started down the stairs, followed by Thorin and her nephews. She paused momentarily, sparing a glance out the window adjoining the steps.

That was when she saw him.

Bard was standing on the docks a little ways off, conversing with an elder man as the frigid air puffed from his mouth. The moonlight glistened off the lake behind them, illuminating both figures clearly. Talia pushed the window open to hear their conversation as Bard listened to the beggar earnestly, transfixed by what he had to say.

"But the prophecy is a fairy story, lad. One from ages ago, from Dale."

"Yes, but I am positive it is him. I know the line of Durin has long been forgotten to our people, but I went to the keeper of the tapestries and found my proof. His name was on it, clear as day— Thorin. If you would recite it to me but one more time."

"Alright, lad. Only because I like you." The elder man sighed, taking a small sip from his canteen and beginning to recite the prophecy.

"The Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone.
The King Beneath the Mountain shall come into his own.
And the bells shall ring in gladness at the Mountain King's return.
But all shall fade in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."