The Ball

February 1544
Location: Hampton Court Palace, England

2 weeks had past since the announcement that the danish crown prince and his little sister were coming to England and finally they arrived. Fortunately Elizabeth and her siblings were permitted to come greet them with her stepmother. Jane sat in the queen's throne as all the children stood behind her. " His Royal Highness, Prince Fredrick of Denmark and Norway and Her Royal Highness Princess Anne of Denmark and Norway!"

" Your Highnesses welcome to England. This is the Kings wife, Queen Jane." Charles Brandon the Duke of Suffolk and regent in his best friends absence, introduced. Fredrick bowed and Annie curtsied. " These are my children, Prince Edward, Duke of York, and Princess Margaret. My stepdaughter the Lady Mary organized the event for your arrival." Jane said motioning to her children and Mary.

After Edward, Margaret and Mary greeted the prince and princess, Charles noticed Janes lack of introduction towards her two other stepchildren so he introduced them for her. " Your highnesses, this is Prince Arthur the Prince of Wales and his sister Princess Elizabeth the Princess Royal and Duchess of Pembroke." He said.

" Hello your highnesses." Arthur bowed. Then he turned to his betrothed Princess Anne. " I am so pleased to meet you." He said in his little voice. " Pleased to meet you Prince Arthur." She curtsied.

As for Fredrick, he looked over at the Princess Royal and was stunned as the princess curtsied low to him and looked at him with her mother's eyes. However unlike her mother she was not smiling.

Later that night everyone was at the Ball in celebration of Fredrick and Anne. Everyone that is except Elizabeth. "Your Highness, are you sure you will be alright?" One of her ladies, Catherine Parr asked.
" Yes, Lady Parr, I will be fine. You and Lady Howard enjoy the ball." Elizabeth ordered.

She wept after two of her remaining ladies, Catherine Parr and Katherine Howard left the room. Suddenly she heard someone sit on her bed. The person brushed back some of her hair. " Oh my own heart." The mysterious person whispered. Elizabeth immediately looked up. " Mama?"

" Mama? How are you here?" She asked. " That does not matter my Lilbet. What matters is you are going to the Ball." Elizabeth's mother, Anne Boleyn said.
" How? Stepmother took my dresses and hid them away so I could not go to the ball." Elizabeth told her mother.

" I knew, I always knew there was something wrong with that woman. My dear girl, my sweetheart, do not worry. Leave it to mama." Anne explained.

( Pretend Elizabeth's dress is the white dress from Anne of the Thousand Days that Anne wears. If you haven't seen the movie go look up the dress but pretend it also has a white mask)

" Now off you go, but remember my heart, the dress will disappear at midnight when the clock strikes twelve, twelve times." Anne explained.

" Yes, Mama."

"I love you Elizabeth, I love you with all my heart and pray you never forget it." Her mother hugged her. " Do not worry mama, I love you too and I promise not to forget." Elizabeth replied. After that Anne disappeared.

Meanwhile with Charles Brandon, he was standing in front of a mirror when Anne Boleyn appeared. " Your Majesty!" He gasped. " Charles, I know we have never gotten along but I beg of you protect my daughter!" She exclaimed. Then she told him about what Jane has done to Elizabeth. Charles was shocked. He thought Jane was sweet but to find out she's been mistreating his best friends daughter. " Henry is not going to like this." He panicked.

Meanwhile Elizabeth walked into the room and caused quite a bout of silence. When Elizabeth stared across the room, Fredrick stared into her eyes coming through the white mask. He walked up to her. " May I have this dance?" He asked.

" If that is what your highness asks of me." She said. The two 10 year olds danced together the entire night. " Who is that?!" Mary asked her friend Catherine Salinas.
" I do not know but whoever she is, the prince is quite taken with her." Catherine said.

Luckily no one recognized the young princess as she was wearing a mask. The young prince and princess went walking in the garden to get away from the festivities. " How are you liking England?" The young princess asked.
" It is very beautiful but of course it does not compare to my home country." He laughed.

She laughed too." I understand." They stopped laughing and as he stared into her eyes, he said" I have never seen eyes so hauntingly beautiful. Your eyes are like hooks for the soul."

" People said that about my mother's eyes." She whispered, looking away soberly thinking of her beloved mother.

" You must have her eyes." He thought.

He knelt down on one knee and kissed her hand. But suddenly the clock struck. She gasped and ran from his embrace. He ran after her." Wait! Where are you going? Who are you?" He exclaimed. She was too fast and ran up the stairs back into the castle, leaving a white slipper on the stairs. The stairs her mother argued with her father many years prior.

Once Elizabeth was in her room the dress disappeared. Luckily one slipper was still in her possession. She put it away and sat by the fire reading when a knock came from the door an hour after she returned to her room. " My lady stepmother." Elizabeth acknowledged as the queen waltzed into her room.

" Good, you didn't leave. I guess you aren't as much of a useless child as I thought." Jane cackled. Behind her was Mary who pushed her and hit her while she laughed. After Mary had hurt Elizabeth, the Queen left with Mary following behind.

Nothing, not even a beating from her older sister could ruin her good mood. Meanwhile Prince Fredrick was in his rooms with his sister, telling her shout the beautiful girl he was with the entire night. " But sadly I do not know her name." He sighed.

" So just use her slipper to find her." Annie suggested. He shook his head. " No, I know exactly how to find her. Her eyes." He said.

" Her eyes?" Annie asked in disbelief.

"Her eyes."

To be continued.......

Author note: THIS WAS MY LONGEST CHAPTER AT 1054 WORDS!