Chapter 1

"Laneybug," Ryland flickered my lightswitch to wake me up and I pulled the blankets over my head, yelling something about how I wanted to die.

"Laney." Dad called in a warning tone from downstairs.

"Sorry." I knew that I had to participate in family breakfast, like I did everyday. Ever since we had moved into the new house, dad had made it a point to have family breakfast since we had a nice place to eat and he liked eating there. Also we never really got around to dinner because we all ate at different times and we weren't always home.

I dragged myself out of bed, sliding my phone into my hoodie pocket. I walked down the stairs and met my family downstairs.

"Morning, Laney." My dad kissed the top of my head as I tried to make my coffee.

"Ugh." I replied and he laughed.

"How late were you up last night." He asked, with a knowing tone.

"Like 3." It was currently 9 am which meant I still slept like 6 hours.

My dad just laughed at me as he made himself eggs. "What are you eating?" He asked.

"What's Ryland eating?" I peaked into the dining room. "Hey, Ry, what are you eating."

"Cereal." He responded.

"Yeah, I want cereal." I poured a bowl of Lucky Charms with almond milk, then I put the almond milk in my iced coffee after it cooled off a little.

I joined Ryland in the living room and Dad joined us a minute after.

"So Laney, what's your plan for the day?" Dad asked, same as every day.

"I'm gonna do my school work, then probably make tiktoks, then probably take a nap." I did homeschool, so I had literally nothing to do, ever. Plus we were in quarantine so that really took away a lot of options.

"Solid plan." Ryland responded. "I might go swim later if the water isn't freezing."

"I'm going to work out then probably nothing else." Dad said, trying to think if he had anything else. "I might make a conspiracy video but I don't know."

"I want to make another video so what should I do? I was thinking like another cooking video?" I nodded.

"If you do one can I help?" I asked and Ryland nodded. "Yay!"

"So, Laney. What homework do you have today?" Dad asked me. At my normal school (I went to private school) I had 5 classes, but since we had online school now they split it up so Monday we had 1st period and then the days lined up with the period. So like Friday was 5th period too.

"I have English. So I'll probably just have to like read some of our book, then do some worksheets and do like discussion post. Can someone take me to drive later, please?" I begged, as I did everyday.

So in California you can get your permit when your 15 and a half. But I got my permit when I was 16 because we all thought it was 16 and never bothered to look it up. Well when I turn 16 and a half I can get my license now, because you have to have your permit for 6 months. I was still hopeful I could get my license on that time, even though it was only a week away. But I needed a couple more hours.

"I don't know Lane." Dad said, "We really shouldn't be going anywhere."

"But, Dad." I whined. "We aren't even getting out of the car, I will literally ride up and down the street for like hours."

"Maybe." Dad said, and I knew that would mean he would think about it later and decide if he thought it was safe.

I finished my cereal and washed out my bowl, leaving it in the sink. I went upstairs to change my clothes, changing into some Nike shorts and a random pullover. I pulled my hair into a loose low pony tail and grabbed my laptop, taking my work downstairs.

Dad was on the couch, watching Netflix so I sat next to him to do my work.

"Will you be able to focus with this playing?" He gave me a quizzical look, but I nodded and he let me do it.

I read the short story that we were assigned for the day. It was only about 8 pages long. I filled out a worksheet about theme, and then a mini quiz about the story. Then I commented on the class discussion board about if I liked it or not. That's pretty much how English went. The discussion board gave us a participation grade, then the worksheet was classwork, then the quiz was a quiz grade.

"I can't believe I pay for private school so that you can sit here and do your work next to me. I pay for school so I don't have to hang out with you all the time." Dad said dramatically.

"I'm your best friend." I stuck my tongue out at him and laid back on the couch.

"I love you." He dragged out the 'you' and we both laughed. "Are you all done?" I nodded, and he moved my computer to the coffee table.

"It only took me an hour." I said as I checked the time.

"That's not bad." Dad agreed.

We stayed on the couch for a couple hours, finishing up Tiger King which we had started last night, but dad wanted to go to sleep before we could finish.

"Wait..." Dad and I spent a good hour after the show was over researching how Carole killed her husband and how she did it.

"I think there's a tiktok to this." I said when we were done. I quickly found the sound and propped my phone up on the table, showing me doing the dance and dad sitting in the background. "Carole Baskin, killed her husband wacked him." I sang alone as I watched it once before I posted it.

'me and dad just finished tiger king... drop your theories.' I captioned it.

"Ok, nap time?"

"Go take a nap outside." He threw a blanket at me. "Get whatever vitamin the sun has."

"Rude." I said, knowing he was joking, but I still made a point to go take my nap outside just to prove a point. Now what point I was trying to prove? Not sure. I was sure to be a victim of one of their Instagram stories later in my nap.

The California sun meant that I didn't even need a blanket, and I actually ended up taking off my pullover (I had a sports bra on underneath) and taking a nap in shorts and a sports bra.

I feel like I had a pretty productive day so far...