XXXII. NIKLAUS

I followed Elena into the boarding house that next morning, before school. Stefan had called and said that we needed to be there, that he had something important to tell us, and I could only imagine what else there was. And I wasn't really sure that I wanted to know anymore after what I'd learned.

I shut the door behind me, finding Stefan and Damon in the center of the parlor, my gaze avoiding the elder brother. He kissed me last night, and where it would've sent a million and one butterflies swarming throughout my stomach, I didn't feel that way. I was instead, so incredibly confused.

The relationship between us - whatever it was - wasn't healthy, and I didn't want that. I didn't want to be sent on a roller coster of emotions, every single day. I loved him, yes, but it just didn't feel right, like that. It felt like something was missing.

"What is this about?" Elena asked from beside me.

"You." I heard a familiar female voice from behind me, and spun around to find Rose.

I couldn't believe my eyes, shocked to see her again. "What is she doing here?"

"She has information that's important."

"In other words," Damon announced. "She's not here to kill you."

__________________________

"Okay, you have to understand I only know what I've picked up over the years and I don't know what's true and what's not true." Rose began, all five of us settled in the parlor. She had more information on the original family, about the sacrifice. "It's the problem with all this vampire crap, but Klaus, I know he's real."

"Who is he?" Elena asked, and the second that Rose had said his name, for some reason it resonated with me, like I'd heard it from somewhere else, another time. I couldn't explain it.

"He's one of the originals," Rose explained. "he's a legend."

"From the first generation of vampires."

"Like Elijah?" I asked.

"No. Elijah was the Easter bunny compared to Klaus." She pointed out, my brows knitting. If Elijah was as she'd said, the Easter bunny, then I could only imagine how much more terrifying Klaus was. "He's a foot soldier. Klaus is the real deal.

"Klaus is known to be the oldest." I'd felt scared when I'd first heard of the sacrifice, but this - hearing just a bit about what this vampire was like - was a whole new level of scary. It made me feel sick to my stomach, a knot in my throat.

"Okay," Elena spoke up. "so you're saying that the oldest vampire in the history of time is coming after us?"

In unison, Rose and Stefan both spoke up. "Yes," She'd said, right at the same time, Stefan had said, "no."

"What they're saying is," Damon spoke up. "I mean if what she's saying is true..."

"Which it is." Rose interjected.

"And you're not saying it so I don't kill you."

I didn't believe that she was lying. I mean, she'd left before any of us could've gotten to her, and chose to come back on her own. She didn't have any reason to lie, not anymore since Trevor had been killed. Part of me believed that maybe she wanted revenge herself, against the originals.

"Which I'm not."

"Then we're looking at a solid maybe."

I sighed, with a heavy heart. The worst part was that, none of this was happening because Stefan had walked into my life, not because of the things Damon had done - it was happening because of me. And I couldn't do anything to stop it, or change it.