XXV. RUNS RED WITH BLOOD

The next day, I'd felt so much better waking up. All I knew was that I didn't want anything to do with Damon, ever again. What he'd done last night, I'd never be able to forget and I didn't think that I could ever forgive him, either. I mean, what if I'd told him that I loved him? And what if one day we got in a fight over something, who's neck would it be then? My own?

I didn't let myself think of him anymore, instead I was determined to have a good day. A fresh start to the new week, pushing everything else in the past. Last night, I realized that anything could happen in a second, so I just didn't want to waste anymore time holding grudges, being angry. Instead, I'd thrown myself into helping prepare for a carnival that was being held at my school that night, with Bonnie.

"Katherine looked just like you two," Bonnie pointed out as we stood by a truck that held the bags of prizes that needed to be sorted. I'd forgiven her for lying, because she was my best friend, and I knew her intentions were never bad. She just wanted life to be like it was before, I could understand that. "it was freakish."

"She is our ancestor." I responded. She'd seen Katherine the day before at the Lockwood's and it turned out that she had been impersonating me, which I had found out later last night. She'd seen Damon, and told him that I didn't feel anything for him, that I was surprised that I even kissed him back. "Hey, I moved the student booth into the cafeteria." I said, checking it off my clipboard.

"Your vampire ancestor and she didn't just resemble you like a family member would." Bonnie pointed out, as she grabbed a bag of stuffed animals, walking over to the booth with me. "She was you."

I didn't know why Katherine, Elena and I looked exactly alike, and as much as I wanted to know, I really didn't want to talk about it then. I'd had enough, ever since last night.

"I don't know," I shrugged my shoulders, setting down my clipboard at the booth. "I can't explain it. It's creepy, that's all I got."

"How do you know she's not still out there pretending to be you?"

"I don't," I admitted, before picking up one of the sealed bags. "but I could sit here and be tortured by the not-knowing or I could get these prizes to the ring toss."

"Have you talked to Damon since he killed Jeremy or tried to kill Jeremy?"

I sighed, eyes narrowing on the package of plush teddy bears in front of me, before tearing the plastic open. "No Bonnie, I haven't and I won't and I don't wanna talk about Damon or anything else that's vampire related okay?"

I didn't want to think of him, let alone talk about him. I didn't even want to see him anymore, because to me, there was nothing that he could ever say to make me forgive him. No matter what anyone told me, whatever anyone tried to convince me of to make me feel better, I knew the truth. He hadn't seen the ring.

"Copy that." Bonnie smiled gently at me as I handed her the bag.

"I'm human." I sighed, picking the clipboard back up. "And I have to do human stuff. Otherwise, I'm gonna go crazy."

Last night was really hard for me, it was way too painful and all I wanted was for things to go back to the way they were, without vampires. Because, what we'd been doing, the way that we'd been living, the people that we were becoming - I didn't wanna be like that.

"Okay, I'm sorry, I'll focus." Bonnie apologized, as I glanced down at my board, checking yet another thing off the list that Caroline had typed up weeks ago, herself. "We have to make Caroline proud or she will kill us. I don't know how she does all of this."

"Well because she's not human," I teased, scanning over the still, very long list of things that we had yet to do to ensure everything would be set up on time. "obviously."