XXI. YOU WEREN'T LOOKING FOR ME

None of it mattered anymore.

A few days had passed since the pageant, and in those few days, I'd been so caught up in what had happened between Damon and I - so caught up in the kiss we shared - that I'd been finding any and every excuse I could to stay away from the boarding house, when that was the very exact place that I needed to be.

Stefan wasn't feeding. At first, they'd locked him up to get him away from the blood, but now he didn't want any at all, and all I could think about was how I should've been there for him. I was just so afraid to see Damon, so afraid to confront what had happened - I couldn't do it.

I was terrified, because accepting that I kissed him was accepting that I had feelings for him, and that was one of the scariest things I could ever do. I wasn't afraid of love. I wasn't afraid to admit to someone that I cared about them, but Damon was entirely different.

I was afraid of getting hurt, afraid that this was all some sort of game to him, afraid that I was just some sort of replacement for Katherine. I knew Elena had felt that way too at first, but Stefan wasn't Damon.

He'd admitted it to me and to everyone else that all he cared about was Katherine.

I folded a pair of Elena's jeans and shoved them into my bag, mentally double checking that I had everything she needed. She'd spent every single night at the boarding house since the pageant, and she'd asked me to come over and bring her clean clothes. As I shut her closet door, I was startled by a figure standing at her doorway ; John.

"Sorry." He was quick to apologize.

"Uncle John." I responded, sighing. "I didn't see you there."

"I thought we could talk." He said as he entered Elena's room. "We haven't had a chance to catch up."

"I'm actually just heading out, so..." I began to head out of her room when he spoke up once more, stopping me in my tracks.

"Well, it won't take long."

My brows knitted, as I turned around to face him. "What did you wanna talk about?" I questioned, hoping he was serious about it not taking too long.

"Well..." He looked at me, like he was accusing me of something. "I know you know."

"Know what?" I faked, wanting him to just leave me alone. I knew he was talking about vampires, but I just needed to get to he boarding house already, and I didn't want to talk to him anyway.

"It's really silly to keep pretending, Lyssa." John pointed out. "What do you think your mother would say if she knew you were dating a vampire?"

"I'm not dating Damon," I pointed out. "and which mother? Because I'm pretty sure Isobel wouldn't care.."

__________________________

Elena had gone to another room to change into the clothes that I'd brought her, leaving me alone in the parlor. I felt like I hadn't been in the house in such a long time when it'd only been a few days since, and when I finally got there, I realized how much I liked being there, being around all of the history.

I was looking at one of the paintings hanging from the wall, wondering where it had come from when I heard the sound of someone's footsteps from behind me.

"Are you and your sister gonna be okay here if I have to run out?" I turned to find Damon, putting on his jacket, headed somewhere. It was the first time that I'd seen him since we'd kissed, and I was almost relieved that he had to somewhere to be for it. "I have to go to an errand with the teacher."