XX. DERNIÈRE DANSE

A day had passed since Stefan had told me to stay away from him. I'd spent that same day hurt, finding myself crying at times, and the worst part was that I couldn't even tell Elena, because if I did, I'd just - I'd break down. I couldn't face her, because with every moment that was passing by, I was growing more and more feelings for Stefan that I shouldn't have been.

But, within that same day, something really good happened. I learned that my best friend had come back home.

I followed my sister into school, spotting Bonnie walking out of a classroom. "Bonnie!" I called out for her, hurrying to catch up alongside Elena.

"Hey." She responded, glancing over at us with a faint smile.

"Hey, I tried to grab you after class but you already taken off." Elena explained. "How are you? How's your family?"

"We're dealing," Bonnie admitted. "it's been hard."

"Everyone here really missed you." I added, giving her a small smile.

I really did miss Bonnie. When she left, she didn't call or text, almost like she'd just disappeared. I knew how hard it was to deal with death, but when I'd lost my parents, a lot of the time, I'd needed her.

"Yeah," She sighed. "I just had so much to deal with after Grams' funeral and, honestly after you told me the tomb spell failed I just didn't really want to come back."

I nodded, saddened. I'd called her when we found out about the spell failing, felt like I had to tell her the truth before she came back. I knew that it must've felt like her grams died for nothing, and I really didn't want her to feel like that, but there was no denying it. She had died for nothing.

"I hope that you understand why I called..." I trailed off. "I wanted you to know before you came home."

"I understand why. I just...shouldn't know."

We fell into a tense, uneasy silence - I didn't know what to say. There was nothing that I, nor anybody else could say to her to make any of it better.

"I know it's been really hard..." Elena spoke up, when suddenly we were interrupted by a familiar, chirpy voice.

"Bonnie! Bonnie!" Caroline joined us. "Thank god you're home!" She embraced Bonnie, and then she said something that really hurt. "I know we talked everyday but I missed you."

They talked everyday? Elena and I hadn't heard from Bonnie ever since the night that she left, and we'd accepted that, accepted that she'd needed time to grieve on her own, but she didn't need time on her own, did she? She needed time away from us, because of who we'd chosen to invite into our lives.

"How are you doing?"

"Better. Better." Bonnie replied. "You know, glad to be back and trying to keep myself busy."

"Well, I can help with that." Caroline pointed out. "Major wardrobe problem. You need to help me pick up the perfect dress for the Founder's court."

The Founder's court?

"The Founder's court?" Elena questioned, as if reading my thoughts. "Did I miss something?"