Chapter 21

The resulting uproar of the room's collective gasp and excited chatter seemed to follow her as she darted away. Lizzy was desperate to escape, heading for the nearest exit. She saw the first door and quickly slipped out of it, finding instead of an escape, it was a dimly lit balcony with a profusion of leafy ferns and tropical foliage.  She decided she wasn't too discriminating to use it as a brief safe harbor.  After all, beggars couldn't be choosers and she couldn't bare to show her face without a brief respite.  Maybe she could hide here until everyone else left the party.

She looked around the small space with its shadowy alcoves.  Not exactly the escape she was hoping for, but at least it was a temporary refuge. The cool night helped her clear her head and calm her racing heart. The more her anger left her, the more she started to realize how badly she'd erred.

"Oh, what have I done? He could ruin Daddy! He wasn't a person I could afford to offend and I went and did the worst thing imaginable..." She murmured  as she started sobbing into her hands, bitter tears of frustration rolling down her cheeks.

Why couldn't she be the pleasant person her mother wanted, docile and accommodating like Jane?

"Oh, it isn't as bad as all that, is it?" someone asked from behind her. Lizzy gasped and froze, afraid to turn and discover who her unwanted company was.  She definitely had not recognized the sultry baritone voice.

"You don't really care what all those pompous snobs think, do you?"Lizzy finally found the courage to turn, discovering. a tall, shadowy form near one wall. She saw the flair of a match and watched as its glow ascended to reveal a face worthy of spread in a magazine. His eyes bored into her own, his styled blonde hair framing his chiseled features.

"Who are you?" she stuttered, her tears seeming to evaporate along with her manners.

"No one of consequence, I assure you. Just a lowly intern." He took a large drag from his cigarette. "Can I be of some assistance? You look upset. I really wouldn't give their opinions a second thought. A gem like you is too good for the likes of this viper pit."  he moved closer and draped his arms over the rail of the balcony as he took in the skyline.

"That's kind of you to say, but I have really messed up this time. My father will be so disappointed and my mother will disown me. That is, if there is anything left. I fear I might have just ruined the family business."

"Nonsense. I don't believe a lovely creature such as you could weld such damage."  He flicked the butt of his cigarette over the side, and Lizzy's eyes followed the ember as it sank into the darkness below.

"Its kind of you to say so, but I've really done it this time. I'm afraid I always let my temper rule me. If only I would hold my tongue..."

"Maybe your tongue just needs to find other pursuits..." He said huskily. Lizzy's mouth went dry and she felt a tingle race up her spine. He reached out and traced a finger down her bare arm.

"I don't even know your name..." the words tumbled breathlessly from her lips.

The man straightened, looming over her "Gage Wickham, at your service." He announced with a slight bow.

She shuddered, caught in his shadow as a chill stole up her spine."An intern, you say?"

"Yes, for Senator Rush. He makes me attend all important dinners with him." He casually shifted closer to her.  "That way, if he gets too drunk, I drag him home before he embarrasses himself."

"That sounds like an important job to me." He chuckled, amused.

"It can be. Usually depends on who is in attendance."