Chapter 11

Lizzie stared at the digital display of the clock radio in aggravation. 

3:11

3:12 

3:13

Still she had had no luck in getting any sleep.  She could not quit thinking about the embarrassing incident earlier. 

She was an intelligent, capable woman who had, although still young, had accomplished more than most females her age.  So why, she wondered, did she turn into a blathering,clumsy idiot every time Darcy was near? Tonight's latest episode drove her point home exquisitely.

Ready to turn in for the night, Lizzy had buzzed to the bathroom to brush her teeth.  Will had already retired to his room much earlier and she had thought Charlie was still gone, requesting extra bedding for the couch from the front desk.  She was just dressed in a ratty old t-shirt and yoga pants that had been worn thin from use that she slept in.  She was self conscious, wishing she had brought cuter sleepwear.  She instantly hated herself for the thought, however, thinking 'who am I trying to impress?' So she resolutely put it from her mind and went to brush her teeth.

She was taken quite by surprise, barreling into the bathroom unthinkingly, running right into Charlie, who was dressed in his pajamas.  They fell back, Elizabeth landing on top of the startled man.  As she was apologizing profusely and attempting to extricate herself, she noticed Darcy standing in the doorway, arms folded and leaning casually against the doorjamb, pompously surveying the scene before him.

She had had about all the disapproving stares she could endure from that man.  What was even worse was the comment that followed. Darcy raised his eyebrows in inquiry and asked, "What, no angel wings tonight? I thought sure all heavenly creatures such as yourself took them everywhere. "

Finally untangling herself from Charlie, She fired back, "must have left them at the cleaners.  Too bad, really, I could use a convenient mode of transportation off this blasted mountain about now."  Lizzy glowered at him as she closed the bathroom door in his face.

Jane's heavy breathing beside her was a constant reminder of how exhausted she would be by morning.  She had tried counting sheep, warm tea (decaffeinated) and even had been checking the all night weather bulletins on the TV. 

After trying one more round of meditative relaxation, slowing her breath into long controlled exhalations, she finally decided maybe a hot shower would relax her enough to send her off to Morpheus.  She couldn't stand to stay in the room with Jane blissfully slumbering on any longer, anyway.  She feared she might give in to temptation and wake her just to have someone to talk to.  Grabbing her shower kit from her suitcase, she headed for the bathroom. 

Tiptoeing through the living area, she first made sure that Charlie seemed to be sound asleep.  He was on the large leather couch under a thick comforter guest services had sent up and one arm was thrown over his head.  His mussed strawberry blond hair surrounded his face and reminded Lizzy of an angel, made more innocent by sleep. 

He really was a nice guy and she hoped that he and Jane would start dating.  They were made for each other.  The man's only visible flaw was a poor choice in friends.

She turned stealthily to spy the door to the other bedroom, making sure Darcy was asleep as well.  The door stood resoundingly silent, as rigid and watchful as the occupant behind it.  It almost seemed to take on the same disdainful attitude towards her as he did, glaring at her with disapproval at her early morning interruption.

Satisfied that she was the only one up, she slipped into the large bathroom.  Flipping on the lights, she found that it was almost as big as the bedrooms.  The white tile gleamed, reflecting the lights brightly.  Past the double sinks and large mirrors and walk-in shower, the large Jacuzzi style tub took up the entire west end of the room, artfully surrounded by the lush foliage of several large plants.  It was more luxurious than Lizzy had ever seen before, except in her mother's decorating magazines. 

She debated, undecided as to whether or not she should splurge and treat herself to a long, relaxing bubble bath or just take a hot shower.  Finally, the urge to pamper herself won out and she started filling the large tub, rooting in several drawers to find bath salts and oils.  In no time at all, she was surrounded by bubbles, laying with her head back on the edge of the tub, eyes closed in contemplation.   

Lizzy's head bobbed to the music of her iPod, that was quietly playing from atop her bath towel.  She had adjusted the lights to be low and the warm sudsy water was doing its work, relaxing her knotted muscles, especially when she turned on the massaging jets of the Jacuzzi tub with a quiet hum.

At first, her mind had still ran in circles, completing mental laps as she had become accustomed to, thinking about school, upcoming tests and projects, even stressing a little about seeing her family over the holidays.  But gradually, as the relaxing water spray kneaded tight muscles and softened her creamy skin, the physical exhaustion was able to catch up with her at last.  Breathing in the pleasant odor of the aromatherapy candles she had found, she drifted off  for a few minutes, her mind at last idle.

She woke with a start, not realizing she had dozed off.  She was unsure how long she had been drifting away.  With a chuckle, she conceded that she needed to try this more often, it had definitely been just the thing.  She drained the tub, lethargically patting herself dry.  She was glad she had gathered her hair up on her head, so only a few tendrils had escaped and gotten damp.  They curled wildly about her face, and she was relieved she didn't have to sleep with wet hair or take the time now to dry it.  She had forgotten to bring fresh pajamas with her and didn't want to put her old t-shirt and yoga pants back on, so wrapping the towel about her middle, she tucked it in just above her breast and reached for the door,  hoping everyone was still asleep. 

She turned off the lights first, worried that the bright light  might awaken Charlie.  But as she emerged into the dark exterior room, she collided with a very hard, very solid body.  Elizabeth let out a breathy gasp of alarm. Fighting the urge to shriek, she leaped back, catching her heel on the bathroom rug.  She was falling, in a mid air scramble, throwing her arms back to find anything that she might grip and right herself with, when suddenly strong arms jetted out to grasp her waist, stopping her descent.  Her rescuer immediately hauled her upright, against his body.  Instinctively, she grasped the strong upper arms for support, encountering only bare skin. 

She felt her towel had loosened, threatening to fall, and panicked, pulling herself tighter against the man's body to stop its indecent descent.  She could feel the hard form tense in response before he spoke.

"Miss Bennet . . ." Will drawled, the words heavy with irony.  "What on earth are you doing?"  She felt his one arm drop from her and supposed he was reaching for the light switch.

"Stop!" she demanded.  "I need...." she pleaded, not sure how to describe the danger she was in of becoming even more scantily clad than she was.

Darcy went still as a statue, frozen at her request and still gripping her with his strong arms.  "What? What is it you need?" his asked, his voice suddenly pained

"No!  Please don't turn on the light yet."

"Miss Ben-"

"My towel . . . is falling."  The supporting arms seemed to slacken, enabling her towel to drift farther.  She hurriedly hitched her towel back around her, stepping back to distance herself.  Although it was very dark, something about the way he moved against her suggested that he actually reached for the light switch faster.  She had just enough time to decently cover herself before the bright light came back on.

That did not seem gentlemanly.

Will Darcy's eyes were the first thing she noticed, dilated with a predatory gleam and immediately scanning her body.  Definitely not gentlemanly.   The second thing she noticed was his carved chest, as he stood, clothed only in pajama bottoms.  Her breath hitched and, for once, words utterly failed her as she scurried past his sculpted perfection to her room.

Once safe, she noticed Jane still slept, blissfully ignorant of the maelstrom raging in her sister as she slipped beneath the covers beside her.