Chapter 13

It took her a few minutes negotiating the labyrinth of halls and corridors before she found the swimming pool and hot tub. She didn't see Jane anywhere, so she went on by when she spied a door labeled sauna. They had baskets along one wall for people to put their belongings in while inside. She quickly tucked her hair back before slipping out of her cover-up and putting it and her shoes in a basket. She took a towel from nearby stack and then slipped through the door.

When she entered, it was a shock. The room was sweltering and she was disoriented for a moment by the wave of heat. She could barely make anyone out, only able to see the ghostly outlines of a few individuals sitting scattered about the room.

Picking the closest seat, she sat on the highest bench. She didn't see Charlie or Jane, but the heat was so relaxing, she decided she might stay for a bit. There were three indistinct figures sitting across from her. A man and woman, obviously a couple, sat together, holding hands. They were probably in their late thirties and were quietly talking, but Elizabeth could only make out indistinct murmurs. The other person, a young man judging by his torso, sat at the end, with a towel draped over his head.

Elizabeth rolled her towel and placed it behind her back so she could recline, but just could not seem to get comfortable. She adjusted it, fidgeting this way and that. The heat was already starting to take its toll, as she noticed her skin already slick with sweat and glistening. Maybe she could relax the crick out of her neck she had gotten from sleeping in the chair.

What she really wanted to do was lay down upon the bench, stretching out. She was so tired, she felt like she couldn't hold herself up one more moment. She decided to throw caution to the wind, not caring what her fellow occupants thought. Using the towel as a pillow, she slid until she was stretched along the bench horizontally, propping up one knee. She was again drowsy, ready to allow the heat to melt her into oblivion. Ahhh, this was so much better she thought right before she drifted off.

Will stared at Lizzy's prone form. Although her knee was still bent, it was propped against the back wall and now her hand was draped down on the bench below her, he was pretty certain that she was asleep. He had noticed the dark circles under her eyes when they spoke earlier and surmised that she had not slept well, if any, after their encounter last night. It had bothered her enough to keep her up.

Truthfully, he hadn't slept either.

Pacing his room for a while, he tried, without success to eradicate the memory of holding Lizzy in his arms. He had not touched her since the night he carried her home from his frat house. Like that night, he had been deeply disturbed by the experience. The attraction he felt for her raced along his skin, igniting his pulse into a frantic tattoo. He thought it beat so loudly that he was certain others could hear it.

Seeing Lizzy's vulnerability had staggered him. She seemed so fragile and sweet, quietly speaking of her fears. Yet another side of her personality the incomprehensible Miss Bennet had shown him. Yes, he had witnessed her endearing moments of gracelessness and humiliation. He had also seen her quick intelligence and bravery in personal conflict. And he had most definitely experienced her biting wit and sarcasm when she had eviscerated him on more than one occasion.

But this timidity and uncertain quality charmed him like her delicate lashes upon her cheek had. It had nearly melted his heart.

Nearly.

He had left the room early this morning, compelled to get some space. It was as if her nearness intoxicated him and he needed distance so he could evaluate these feelings. He didn't understand them at all. He had spent the morning in the large dining room, staring out the window at the rapidly falling snow for hours. With his brow knitted in concentration, he thought of her and how he had never had this reaction to a girl, or anyone, ever before. Not only had it never happened to him before, it couldn't happen, for several reasons.

He knew that it was prohibited for him to have any form of relationship with her while he was her teacher. And since Professor Cooper had extended his medical leave yet again, it looked as if that would continue for the remainder of the year. Furthermore, he didn't want a relationship with her. He didn't want a relationship with anyone. He was happy as he was. Alone.

Aunt Cecily would ensure he remained that way. As a matron of society and the wife of a CEO, she traveled in the most powerful and influential circles of society. She had reacted with outrage at his father's latest affair. She had been livid at his latest and greatest indiscretion, railing at them all. She would protect the family name and try to salvage what dignity she could, but would bear no future mishaps from anyone. She nearly neutered Will and his father with threats if they so much as stepped a toe out of line.

She had made it clear that Will was to be given no slack in this area since his father had already erred so badly. He must be discreet and have no lasting relationships until the family had decided it was time for him to marry.

He had to do this. For the family.

So why was he sitting here, wrapped in a towel and staring at her?

He had hoped to escape her and hide with his morbid thoughts once more, but she had unknowingly found him. It was as if fate's cruel hand were torturing him, thrusting her at him over and over.

Matters only got worse as he observed her in her bikini. It was modest, but still showed a great expanse of creamy white skin. She was paler than her sister and more petite, but her long limbs emphasized her proportionate curves. Her womanly perfection goaded him.

In the same vein, the situation deteriorated more as the married couple sitting between them left the sauna. Now they were alone.

Suddenly Will could not sit still any longer. He rose, standing in indecision on the paver stones. He knew he had to leave as well and started for the door, but nervously turned and walked back. Unable to make himself leave, waging war with himself inside his head. Finally, he moved to the climate control unit and increased the steam. The unit responded instantly, belching out small clouds of steam. It didn't take long for the room to become foggy, making it hard to see the far wall.

Will looked over at the still sleeping Lizzy, utterly still in the damp quiet.

Then Will lost his internal battle and walked towards her.