Chapter 28

Elizabeth knew that Lexi had come from a well-off family, but still had not been prepared for the extravagant home they discovered when they arrived two days before the party. The grounds were large and well-manicured and they even had a small staff. The house itself was huge, with two separate wings branching off of the main foyer. She discovered quickly that the room they were to stay in was Lexi's brother's room, who was away on the West Coast doing an internship at Apple. Apparently, he had some promise as a programmer.

The party itself was going to take place in the two large rooms on each side of the grand entryway. One side was the dining room and the other a large family room. Their task was to re-arrange the furniture and come up with ideas for music and dancing.

Lexi had already arranged for the 18 foot dining table to be removed. They would have snacks and finger foods on the large bar in the kitchen, located at the back of the house. When the girls arrived, Lexi was just beginning with the decorations she had purchased.

"Thank goodness your here! I bought everything I thought I would need, but really need your help modeling it to look like a ballroom that I once saw decorated similarly. iwant it to be just like the old time formal masquerades. This is going to be so great! I just know we are going to have so much fun this weekend!" Lexi gushed to them after showing them where to put their things.

Lizzy looked at all the gold and silver bunting on the grand double staircase and couldn't help thinking it was doubtful that olden times were quite so glitzy...

Lexi gave them a brief tour of the house and took them outside to show them the rest. The grounds were gorgeous and Elizabeth kept reminding herself to shut her mouth as her jaw dropped at the beautiful surroundings. Lexi's parents had endeavored to create something along the lines of the old manors from romance novels and 18th century history books. There were gardens and fruit groves and even a sculpted garden walk where exotic topiary and immaculate hedges guided one down paths to secluded benches and quietly bubbling fountains.

Lizzy mused it was a romance novel come to life.

"What's that building?" Lizzy asked.

"Oh, that's the pool house. Come on and I'll show you. As they approached, Lizzy could see the large outdoor patio with firepit, a massive grill and large lounge area. This time of year, all the furniture was covered and there were scattered dead leaves scurrying about the place. Inside, there was a heated pool and it smelled strongly of chlorine. Another large lounge area was located at one end near a bar with stools and a wall of liquor behind it.

"My parents like to entertain friends here, even though they don't swim. They claim its "cozy". Three large couches flanked an impressive fireplace that rose up through the ceiling. In the background, several tables were grouped with plush chairs. Lizzy walked past the row of deck chairs that lined the pool itself. It was one of those with lots of colorful lights bunched around a natural rock grotto. One could climb to the top where a waterfall cascaded down and dive into the pool. Lizzy suspected she could be quite happy living in this building for the rest of her life if the opportunity arose.

"It's beautiful. Could I use your pool while we're here?"

"Of course, Lizzy. You don't have to ask. Just make yourselves at home. My home is your home. After all, we are sisters! She hugged Jane and Lizzy tightly. "Wait", Lexi suddenly looked alarmed. "What time is it? I told the caterer that I would call them by two." Jane quickly pulled her phone out of her pocket.

"It's already ten after two. You had better go!"

Lexi screamed and ran towards the house in horror. Lizzy had to laugh while Jane kept looking at her phone.