51. Epilogue

The January air nips at my skin as I make my way out of my last class for the day. My last semester at St. Joseph's has begun. The thought is frightening, especially when I consider that graduation and college are not too far in the future. But, for now, winter is still very much upon us, and a light coating of snow covers the ground as I walk to my locker.

I am thankful that it is Friday. Though I've only just begun spring semester, I can sense the senioritis already beginning to set in. I need to use this weekend to reset and get back into academic mode, rather than scroll on my phone and call Aurora for a distraction like I did last weekend when I didn't want to start on some assignments.

I exchange books as normal at my locker. Before I am able to close it, a pair of arms wraps around me, practically knocking me to the ground, as the girl behind me lets out an excited cheer.

"Hazel, stop—" It's the only person I think who would do such a thing at the moment before I turn and realize the person holding onto me has flaming red hair. "What are you doing here?!"

Aurora lets go of me and points to the visitor sticker on her sweater. "My class was cancelled today, so I figured I'd visit for old time's sake."

"Well, you don't have to be embarrassing," I murmur as I shut my locker, though there's something exciting about having Aurora greet me at my locker. It reminds me of junior year and the traditions we once shared. Our relationship has still continued strong. Just the other day marked our four month anniversary. And even though I tell myself it's not possible, I think I fall even more in love with Aurora as the days pass on.

"You guys are so cute," a random student tells us as she walks by. Word spread pretty fast last semester about our relationship, especially once we started posting pictures with each other on social media. Thankfully, most, if not all, of the students who talk to me are supportive.

"Thanks!" Aurora says back to her, which is even more embarrassing. Aurora then turns to me and squeezes my hand. "I'm going to go stop by the front office real quick to give some hellos, but meet me at the front gate. Let's walk home together."

"Okay," I agree. I am happy with her surprise visit, and I already think of how excited I'll be to walk home with her once more, just like we did last year after school.

In the meantime, though, I wait with a few of my friends in the corridors of campus.

"Did you know Aurora was here?" Hazel asks.

"I just found out myself. We're going to walk home together," I say.

"Oh, to her house?" Hazel teases as she raises an eyebrow. My little excursion to Aurora's house that December evening got out pretty quickly to my friends. Hazel knew something was up the moment Juliet asked why she needed to cover for me, and so I was forced to confess. Hazel lamented, of course, that I got to experience so much before she did, but that was the last of the conversation, save for a few comments she makes now and then.

"No. I have homework to do, and she's working tonight," I say.

"I better head out, then," Hazel says. "I'm going to miss the metro otherwise. Are you driving back, Juliet?"

Juliet nods. "Have a good weekend, you three," she says before they depart.

Abigail lingers for a moment. "I have a date this weekend."

"You do?!" I exclaim. "Why didn't you tell the others?"

"It's with Brian, my childhood friend. We've been spending more time together lately. I still don't understand exactly what I'm feeling, but we both think there might be something there. I've known him for so many years. I feel comfortable with him. I can see something happening," she says. "Or maybe not. But I'll let you know how it goes."

"How exciting! Let me know," I say.

Aurora texts me to scold me for not waiting out by the gate like she told me, but also to notify me that she's done greeting people at the front office. I tell Abigail to have a good weekend and wish her luck on her date before I meet my girlfriend at the front gates.

"Sure took you long enough," she murmurs before grabbing onto my hand.

"Let's stop by the park today," I suggest.

"It's cold," Aurora laments.

"Just for a little bit."

We walk hand in hand down the roads that were always familiar to us. Our walks together along these streets are far and few in between these days, but on the off-chance she does get out of class early, she likes to come meet me at school and walk home with me, even though it's an inconvenience to her. Sometimes I study with her at her college campus on the weekends, though we usually end up leaving early to grab a coffee or finish studying at one another's houses. Life with Aurora is stable, constant. Everything else is rapidly changing.

We approach the park that's covered in ice and snow. There's no use trying to sit on one of the swings or trying to climb up the structure, considering I'm sure I'd slip and break a bone. Instead, we stand under the snow-covered oak tree, watching our breath come out in puffs.

"Remember when I broke up with you here?" I ask.

"Remember how we made up here?" Aurora ask. "So, why this time? I hope you're not breaking up with me."

"No!" I exclaim.

"I was only teasing," Aurora says with a laugh. "Let's go on a date soon."

"To where?"

"I don't know. You can always come over again," she suggests.

"It's not the same," I murmur.

"True, but we can still cuddle in bed," Aurora thinks.

"I'll think about it."

"Or you could invite me over to your house."

"No way!"

Aurora laughs. She takes in a deep breath, then continues to speak. "You know, it was weird going back to that school today. A lot of good, but also a lot of bad memories came flooding back to me. I don't miss high school, but I'm thankful for the memories I made, and I'm thankful for meeting you."

"Yeah, meeting me at an awful high school dance," I recall. It was hard to believe that was over a year ago at this point. "So much has changed," I think out loud, "But I think what's happened in the past year has changed for the better."

"Me too," Aurora says, reaching for my hand. She squeezes onto it tight and turns to face me. "I love you, Callie."

"I love you, Aurora," I say quietly as she reaches for my face. The kiss we share is gentle and sweet. The warmth of her lips contrasts with my frozen cheeks and red nose. I pull her closer to me, trying to get some of that warmth for myself. I hug her after we pull apart, reveling in the way she moves her hands up and down my back, both as an act of comfort, and of one to give me some more heat.

"It's getting cold. We should head back," she says. "Shall we?" she asks, reaching for my hand.

I nod and grab ahold of it. We depart the park and head back onto neighborhood roads.

As I walk with her, I think of all the changes that are to come. I will go to state college. Aurora will eventually finish her time at community college and transfer elsewhere. My friends will go onto different schools. My siblings will go onto high school. And I'll be trying to figure out my career.

All of it is scary. All of it terrifies me, but holding Aurora's hand lessens that fear some. Because I realize, no matter what happens in the future, there will always be us, and that thought will never stop bringing me comfort in this upside-down world.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading! Please check out my other LGBTQ+ works:

When the Violin Sings (complete): here: https://www.wattpad.com/story/250521183-when-the-violin-sings

Can You Hear the Ocean? (currently writing):  https://www.wattpad.com/story/278116761-can-you-hear-the-ocean