шесть

sokovia europe

sokovia
europe

AFTER
natasha

"ROMANOFF!"

I turned at the right time, catching the shield in my hands and using it to protect myself from the robot that tried to attack me. Once I had an advantage point, I used it to kill it.

"Thanks," I threw it back to Steve.

That was the last of the bots in our vicinity and we both took a second to catch our breaths. I took the moment to digest where I was. On a floating city. Fighting robots. This was a far cry from my old missions.

"The next waves gonna hit any minute." Steve said. It was to himself more than to me. "What have you got, Stark?"

"Well, nothing great. Maybe a way to blow up the city. That'll keep it from impacting the surface if you guys can get clear."

I glanced at Steve. "I asked for a solution, not an escape plan."

"Impact radius is getting bigger every second. We're going to have to make a choice."

Steve went quiet at Stark's words and I looked around. We were thousands of feet above the ground. There was no way everyone was making it out alive.

"Cap, these people are going nowhere. If Stark finds a way to blow this rock..."

"Not till everyone's safe."

"Main Street is clear. Making my way to you guys." Stacy said through the comms.

"Everyone up here versus everyone down there. There's no math there."

"I'm not leaving this rock with one civilian on it."

I looked out at the view we had. I could see the mountains surrounding the city. The blue sky above. It was beautiful. More beautiful than I deserved.

"I didn't say we should leave." I said. Steve looked at me. "There's worse ways to go. Where else am I gonna get a view like this?"

There was a glitch in the comms device and we made eye contact as someone broke onto our channel.

"Glad you like the view, Romanoff. It is about to get better." I recognized the voice instantly. I couldn't stop myself from smiling.

Athena.

Black Sun carriers came into view and the hum of the machines took over the sound of the wind. Immediately, agents were dropping from the carrier, prepared to fight.