Chapter 20

“Rise and rise again until lambs become lions.”  Robin Hood, 2010

---

Chapter Twenty

David knew that he and Elena had great trials ahead of them, but he could not help but be happy and excited in that moment. The way he felt when he was with her was like nothing he had ever experienced. He felt euphoric with Elena. He could not help but smile when he was near her. She made him happy.

He had been lucky enough to meet his match, the woman that was meant for him, so it had to mean that there was a way that they could be married.

While he would never ruin her, he could not deny that the temptation was there. He could not be dishonourable with Elena. If he was, he would never be able to meet his mother’s eye again.

David positioned himself under the bed so that he could see Elena and Marisol fluffing about while they prepared for the seamstresses. He was still hidden by the duvet but he could still see what was going on in the bedroom.  

There was a knock on the door and Marisol went to allow the seamstresses entry. Four women entered the room carrying a very large garment. The four ladies brought the gown over to the bed before curtseying to Elena and greeting her in Spanish.  

Elena smiled politely at the ladies as she removed the robe she wore. David looked away out of respect, albeit regrettably. His male instincts were protesting, but if he saw her in that state of undress then the temptation to ruin her would be too great.

David forced himself to stare at the white patterns in the otherwise red rug on her bedroom floor. He traced the woollen swirls and spirals for at least ten minutes, willing himself not to look up.

His restraint disappeared the minute he heard a whimper escape Elena’s lips. His eyes immediately found her holding onto the side of her floor length mirror. Her back was hunched as one of the seamstresses mercilessly tightened her corset. He could see the muscles in her arms and shoulders contorting as she tried to control her screams. He knew that she was screaming on the inside.

David’s jaw tightened and his teeth clenched. David knew that he needed to remain hidden, but in that moment he wanted to hold and comfort Elena, slap the horrid, pitiless seamstress, and murder her father, but not necessarily in that order.

David could not understand a father who could do such an atrocity to his beautiful daughter. There was supposed to be a special bond between father and daughter, but it seemed in Elena’s case that she had been left behind.  

It seemed that Elena could not keep quiet for long. She hissed something in Spanish to the seamstress and she immediately released the corset strings. Marisol immediately took over and loosened the corset much to the protestation of the seamstresses, who were gesturing to their waists and the need for Elena’s to be narrow. Elena’s waist was already narrow. David did not understand the need for the restricting contraption.

Once Marisol had finished tying the corset strings, she stepped back to allow the seamstresses room to dress Elena. One of them fetched the gown and brought it over to Elena. Elena stepped into her petticoats first, before stepping into the wedding gown. The seamstresses pulled the gown up Elena’s body before helping her to slip her arms through the ruffled sleeves.

The gown was champagne coloured, with white lace embellishments. Marisol covered Elena’s face and head with a lace veil that matched the lace on her gown, concealing her features from her groom.

The seamstresses fussed over Elena with their sewing tools, making sure that her hem was correct and that the waist did not need to be taken in.

David just stared at her in awe. She looked beautiful, but miserable. Elena always looked beautiful, but when she was dressed as a bride, her beauty increased. David only wished that she was his bride.