Chapter 6

“Nothing like watching your relatives fight, I always say.” Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief

---

Chapter Six

David marched directly to the ballroom. That night, Ascot would be hosting their umpteenth ball since he had returned from Cambridge. His mother was inside the ballroom, instructing the servants on where to assemble the furniture.

“Mother,” he hissed as soon as he crossed the threshold.

Bess turned around and frowned. “You never call me ‘Mother’. You only call me ‘Mama’.”

He knew Bess did not like to be called ‘Mother’. It was what his father called his mother. Emmett never had the sort of relationship with his mother to call her ‘Mama’ which was why Bess did not like ‘Mother’.

He was in a spiteful mood. “Mother,” he said again firmly, “what did you say to Elena?”

Bess furrowed her eyebrows. “What do you mean?”

“Her sister was consoling her because of something you said. What did you say?” he asked again.

His infatuation with Elena was not purely based on her appearance. He cared for her. He wanted her to be happy at Ascot. If his mother was making her unhappy then he was going to do something about it.

“I simply asked her for her opinion on the ballroom,” Bess said innocently. “She actually gave quite a romantic answer.”

David rolled his eyes. “Mama, I know you said something. What did you say?”

Bess placed her hand on his cheek and smiled. “I wanted to ensure that she was a good girl,” she replied.

David frowned. “Why?”

Bess sighed. “David, I am your mother. It is my responsibility to put a stop to any interest of yours that is unhealthy.”

David’s eyes narrowed and he shrugged his mother’s hand away. “And you believe Elena is unhealthy?” he challenged. How could she know? What a foolish question. Of course she knew. She knew everything.

“On the contrary,” said Bess, a devious smile forming on her face, “I believe she is very healthy. A little guarded perhaps, but nothing my sweet baby Davy cannot unravel.”

David groaned. “Mother, I am not five years old. If you are not careful I shall move to bloody London if you ever call me ‘baby Davy’ again.” As annoying as it was that his mother knew absolutely every thought that crossed his mind, it gave him a slight thrill that she liked Elena.

“You will never abandon me,” Bess said confidently as she went back to commanding the room. “I will see you at breakfast, sweetheart.”

The ball that evening was much the same. David danced with a dozen ladies, all of whom tirelessly flirted with him. He could not deny their prettiness but he was not tempted by a woman whose motivation was purely social and financial gain.

The next three weeks passed quickly. They attended balls at Montrose and in neighbouring estates but the majority of their time was taken up by the imminent arrival of their royal guests.

David was unable to spend much time working on Imogen’s chair as he was roped in to planning recreational activities and parties with his family.

But the day that the royals were due had finally arrived. He had not expected to be excited but he was quite intrigued to meet them. He had only ever seen the Queen from afar when had been in London. Now he was actually going to be sitting down to dinner with future rulers.