Epilogue

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” Dr. Seuss

---

Epilogue

Six Months Later

It had been a whirlwind six months for both David and Elena. Their engagement had been formally announced to the Spanish Court and a grand ball was held just as soon as Joaquín had returned from Andalucía. The damage the storm had caused was far worse in Andalucía so Joaquín had promised his subjects there that the Crown would do everything that was needed in order to restore the homes and businesses.

Soon after, Elena and David departed Spain with Lupe as chaperone. Her mother was most anxious to attend the wedding, and to meet with Elena’s future in-laws. While Joaquín could not spare the time away from Spain to attend the wedding, Elena was glad to have some family there.

It had been Lupe’s first time leaving Spain since having arrived as a young bride from Denmark, nearly eight and twenty years ago. Lupe had also made plans to travel on to Denmark from England to visit any living relatives and to see Gabriela and her child, should he or she be born in that time.

David and Elena were married from the church in the Ascot village, surrounded by David’s large family. Joaquín surprised Elena on her wedding day, a happy coincidence, having decided that he could not allow anyone but him walk Elena down the aisle. Joaquín had sailed his fastest ship while leaving their brothers as his stand-ins at Court during his absence. While they were not particularly close, Joaquín trusted his brothers to behave appropriately before the Court while he was gone.

Once the wedding festivities had concluded, Lupe moved on to Denmark, albeit quite tearfully, and Joaquín returned to Spain.

Elena and David fell happily into married life, with the newlyweds barely spending mere minutes from the other’s side.

The marriage of the heir to the Dukedom of Ascot to a Spanish princess had caused a stir amongst the English elite. Everyone was desperate to get a glimpse of the newly married couple. David and Elena were now expected to attend London for the season along with David’s younger sisters in an effort to find suitable husbands for them, though it seemed that neither Alexandra nor Imogen were very enthusiastic about doing so. Alexandra’s preference of Joaquín above others was very evident when he arrived briefly for Elena’s wedding. Joaquín was not oblivious, nor did it seem that the affection was one sided, however Joaquín was too honourable to cancel the contract with Greece. Alexandra would have to find a husband elsewhere. Imogen was not looking forward to sitting out all the dances and being looked over because she was neither tall enough, nor strong enough, to capture a man’s attention.

Nevertheless, married life suited Elena perfectly.

It was a rare morning when the Ascot household did not all eat breakfast together. Married women traditionally were served breakfast in their bedchambers, however the women of Ascot joined the family in the dining room for breakfast.

On that March morning, however, David was absent. Elena did not need to wonder at his whereabouts. He had risen very early that morning to continue working on his next project.

Elena quietly conversed with Bess as they discussed their plans for the day. The ladies had been invited by Charlotte to luncheon. Elena first wanted to write a letter to Marisol. She tried to write weekly, to make sure that Marisol knew that she was in Elena’s thoughts. Marisol returned the favour, and Elena received letters from her often. Marisol was enjoying her life in Portugal, and she had been received as a welcome addition to the royal family. Apparently Elena was not in good favour, not that she minded, but Marisol had made up for Elena’s absence. In the last letter that she had received, Marisol had written that she was pregnant.