Chapter 16

“Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

---

Chapter Sixteen

“Of course you may stay at Ascot, Your Royal Highness,” replied Bess warmly, though Elena could see a look of hesitance on her face.

Perhaps it was the unease that Elena, herself, felt at the idea of Joaquín returning her to Spain. Did her brother not understand why she had run from their home? The mere notion of being brought before her tyrant of a father once more terrified her.

“Thank you,” Joaquín said gratefully.

Joaquín and Elena, Emmett, Bess, Alexandra and Imogen all gathered in the drawing room where Mr Clarke and the footmen served morning tea. Joaquín politely drank the tea, though Elena could tell he shared Gabriela’s opinion on its flavour.

“Are you to be the King of Spain?” asked Alexandra curiously.

“Yes, Lady Alejandra,” replied Joaquín. Alexandra blushed at the Spanish translation of her name. Elena noticed that all of the ladies were watching her brother with a dazed look in their eyes. Was Joaquín handsome to them?

Alexandra then shamefully asked, “And do you have a Queen?” Her blush only increased much to her humiliation. Bess arched an eyebrow at her daughter and muttered something that made her sit up straight.

Joaquín smiled coyly. Elena wondered if he enjoyed teasing Alexandra. Elena had never before seen her brother take notice of any woman before as he was always watching and protecting her. “I am betrothed,” Joaquín replied, albeit sounding slightly regretful. “Princess Athena of Greece will be the Queen of Spain when she comes of age.”

Alexandra immediately frowned and said, “Oh,” before she tried to improve her tone to sound more positive about the fact that Joaquín had a fiancée.

“Alexandra, could you please take Imogen upstairs so that you both can collect your travelling cloaks?” Bess asked, her tone very stiff. She was clearly displeased with her daughter’s very obvious, and very quick, infatuation with Joaquín.

“But Mama, we are not going anywhere today,” protested Alexandra.

“We are going to Montrose,” Bess replied calmly, though Elena could tell the journey had only just been decided.

Alexandra reluctantly rose from the settee and helped Imogen to her feet and the two sisters left the drawing room.

“Ella es muy bonita,” whispered Joaquín to himself. Elena could not help but think selfishly at that moment. If Joaquín broke his engagement with Greece, could that not mean that Elena could break her engagement with Portugal?

“I apologise for my daughter’s childish behaviour, Your Royal Highness,” Bess said sincerely.

Joaquín smiled. “Worry not, Duchess,” he replied. “I thought her quite charming.”

“If you do not mind my asking, was your betrothal arranged?” Bess asked curiously.

“We understand that Elena’s marriage was arranged,” added Emmett.

Joaquín nodded. “Yes, all royal marriages are arranged when we are children, infants even. A king marries his children off to create alliances with other counties. They are used for financial and political gain.”

“And you do not have any say in it?” Bess asked despondently.

Joaquín shook his head. “No. It is a contract. I will marry Greece and Elena,” he looked down at her, “will marry Portugal. It is the right thing to do.”