Chapter Fifty-One

Armed with fear, research, some much needed tips from Dawn, and an absolute knowledge that I had nothing to lose (until, of course, I would inevitably lose everything), I strolled into Hustings’s office and clenched his outstretched hand tightly enough to prompt a discernible squint.

‘Is everything all right Ben?’

‘No Bob,' I verified, 'I’m afraid everything is not all right. In fact everything is anything but all right.’

‘Why, whatever is the matter?’ asked Hustings, gesturing with one hand that I should take a seat while discretely shaking some blood back into the other.

‘There have been some unexpected developments Bob, and I thought you should to be made acutely aware of them.’

‘Please Ben, go on.’

‘Before I do that Bob, I should tell you that Paul Hobbs does not know that I am here today, nor would he be happy if he actually did know that I was talking to you right now. You see, there have been moves at Chambers, Benjamin and Bartlett to have your company expelled from our panel of approved contractors.’ I allowed the words to hang in the air; Hustings' inner air-conditioner sucking them dry.

‘What? Ben, what are you talking about?’

‘Three weeks ago Chambers, Benjamin and Bartlett asked us to instigate an investigation into your company’s billing policy; not your official company line, you understand, but the reasons why your invoices invariably exceed your estimates, even though the amount of work involved rarely increases.’

‘You should be careful with your insinuations Ben.’

‘Bob, I am insinuating nothing; I am only telling you why I was asked to carry out a detailed investigation into the trends surrounding your billing policy. This was initially requested after concerns were raised about your escalating number of complaints and distinct displeasure with the quality of service and overall value for money. I did not take this detour of my own accord, I have more than enough on my plate as it is. I am also aware of your operating costs, and that you need to find some slack in the system to cover all those overheads. I’m on your side Bob, that’s why I’m here.’

‘Go on.’

‘What I've found Bob, was that your invoices exceed your estimates by an average of twenty percent, with no apparent validation or justification. The next nearest contractor was running at six percent over his estimated costs so you’re way out on your own Bob,’

I lied; in fact Hustings’s firm was in line with everyone apart from the saintly Corcoron. My gamble was that for all his omnipotence, Hustings would have a conscience as murky as a miner’s bath water. He studied me carefully, saying nothing for an age before finally leaning forward, as if to get a better look at his unlikely inquisitor.

‘I still don’t know why you are here Ben, or what it is that I am supposed to do about these alleged irregularities, for that is all they are: unfounded, alleged anomalies.’

‘I am not alleging anything Bob. I am here to help you because I do not agree with what is going on, but what is inescapable is that Chambers, Benjamin and Bartlett hold a great deal of sway with Vanguard London. As you know, they are our major client in the north London area, so if they ask us to jump we do so high or low. They’re the ones who sign the biggest cheques Bob, but on this occasion I think they’ve misunderstood our findings and they’re simply waiting for you to continue along this trend to prove their point. And once you’ve done that Bob, that really will be that.’

‘So what do you propose Ben?’, said Hustings, still regarding me with great suspicion.

‘Well, first on the list has to be the number of complaints which are continuing to filter through.’