Chapter Forty-Five

Dawn wasn’t ready on time but I wasn’t bothered. I had Joe, Greek, a bottle of beer and my new found wealth for company. 

Joe’s lean, dainty frame was sprawled across the sofa while Greek was curled up on a beanbag. Cannabis was being passed freely round, the atmosphere   typically Bohemian and the conversation thoroughly  unpredictable. Greek set aside a Roddy Doyle novel to join in as Joe drawled away, ‘sex, drugs, money, fashion, politics. In that order, although I wouldn’t be seen dead in a pair of dungarees, a kipper tie or socks with sandals for all the cash in Dawn’s purse, so there has to be some scope for change. That’s the list, in order of importance, but it’s not entirely steadfast.’

‘Where are the arts on that list? I mean, for fucks sake Joe, you work at MTV. What about music?’, regaled Greek.

‘Oh, OK, I forgot about music, and the arts. S Club 7, Picasso, Roddy Doyle, what was I thinking of: you’re absolutely right darling, they’ve all got to come somewhere, if you’ll pardon the expression. Number four, just after money but before fashion, although I suppose you could include fashion as part of the arts. Fashion’s expressive, it’s artistic. I’ll swap my fashion for your arts. My, aren’t I the cultured one! The arts becomes the brand new entry at number four.’

‘What about football?’, I asked. 

‘Football,’ said Greek. ‘What about football Joe?’

‘What about it? I’m sorry Ben but we’re talking about the meaning of life here. Exercise is important but I’m not about to add treadmills to my list. No, football doesn’t get in I’m afraid. And beer comes under drugs. Here. Take some stimulation.’

I took the joint from Joe and took a brief toke on it before passing it over to Greek. I didn’t want to be stoned for the meal; I had promised a romantic meal for two, and even I knew that could not entail falling asleep or enduring cold sweats during the first course. 

The conversation continued to bounce energetically between Joe and Greek as they ruined their impressive intellects. I was beginning to feel like I was part of the family; everyone had reached the stage where they could insult me without actually offending me. This was somehow very important, and increased the comfort factor that was growing between us. My relationship with Dawn had thankfully expedited this process rather than hindered it, and I felt that I truly belonged here as an equal partner, although I was still lagging in the cultural and educational stakes. Certain references and jokes continued to fly over my head but I was becoming more accustomed to feigning acknowledgement. 

I rang the restaurant to notify them of our late arrival, telling them we’d be along by about eight. It was worth the wait, for me at least. Dawn appeared moments later wearing a simple black velvet dress (Versace, she later told me), while her silky straight shoulder length hair shone perfectly under the dim lights of our living room.  The look was spectacularly basic and glorious in it’s appeal.

I gave her hand a gentle squeeze and kissed her lightly on the cheek, assured  her of her beauty, and ordered a cab to collect us ASAP.