Chapter Nineteen

"Hazel Grace Lancaster," he said with dramatic pauses after each name.

"Why are you here?" I questioned, "and how do you know where I live?"

"I searched through all my fan mail to find a letter from you, which, of course, had your address on it."

"Smart," I said, "but why such persistence?"

"I learn from the best," he responded, referring to me. "And, I've received word that your life on Earth may be coming to an end."

"From who?" I wondered.

"Irrelevant," he insisted, "may I come in?"

"Uh-" I was hesitant to let Peter Van Houten into my home, but I did. "Sure."

Van Houten walked to my living room and took a seat, I took a seat across from him.

After a good minute of silence, I spoke "So..."

He took a shaking glance at me as if he were completely inattentive.

"What do you want?" I bluntly questioned him.

"No," he responded, "the question is; what do you want?"

"Honestly, I think I'm good with the life I've lived, want to know why?"

"Uh-"

"Because, answering your question earlier, all I want is Gus." I said, interrupting him.

"Hazel, darling, that is not a valid reason to say you'd be unbothered as to die soon. You cannot even be positive that you will see him again."

"I know, I don't believe in afterlife; but I damn straight believe in love."

~~~~~~~~~~

Peter Van Houten left me thinking; what's with me? I am so not ready to die. I'm only sixteen, with a whole life ahead of me. That now, I won't be able to live.

Speaking of being sixteen, basically seventeen, actually. Tomorrow's September 29th. My birthday.