Chapter Eight

"This was amazing, Nicholas," I thanked him.

"Anything for you, Hazel," he responded.

For a minute there, we just smiled at each other, appreciating this moment; for moments like this do not last forever.

He was just about to head out the door, when I gave him an offer he couldn't refuse.

"Want to sleepover?" I asked him.

"You bet I do," he answered with a giggle.

"Couch," I pointed to our fairly comfortable living room sofa.

He laughed, "Wonderful."

I left a note, while Nicholas was kind enough to clean up the kitchen.

Dear Mom,

Nicholas is sleeping over, hope you don't mind. But, he did make pasta and garlic bread. I love you too.

-Hazel

Nicholas finished up, and I set up the couch with a pillow and a blanket.

"Goodnight Nicholas Grady," I said.

"Goodnight Hazel Grace Lancaster," he replied.

I then quickly got ready for bed, switched my oxygen tube from Philip to my BiPAP, and went straight to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up the next morning to the voices of my Mom, Dad, Mr. & Mrs. Grady, and Nicholas.

As per usual, I connected my cannula to my oxygen tank instead of my BiPAP, brushed my teeth, my hair, and went downstairs.

"Hello?" I said, walking to my parents, Nicholas, and his parents.

"Hazel!" My Mom, Dad, and Nicholas said.

"Hi Hazel," Mr. & Mrs. Grady said afterwards.

The Grady's were at my place all the time now, I don't know how I feel about that, I also didn't know how I felt about Nicholas.

Of course, I like him. Maybe more than a friend, but there were two big reasons why I couldn't; he's a grenade, and Augustus. I know I don't just like him because he reminds me of Augustus, yes, that is what attracted me to him at first, but I like him for him. Much like how my resemblance to Caroline is what attracted Gus to me at first. But, our love was real, and it was not based off of anything, or anyone else.