Chapter Fourteen

The whole ride home was completely silent. With the exception of some sniffles due to crying, of course.

"Hazel," my Mom and Dad said in unison once we arrived home.

"Mhm?" I answered.

"We need to have a family meeting," they instructed.

"Alright," I said, as the three of us went inside and all took a seat on the living room sofa.

"First thing's first," my Mom said, as I thought of Fancy.

"I'm the realest," I couldn't help myself but finish her sentence.

"Drop this and let the whole world feel it," my Dad continued.

My Mom looked at us, then finally said, "and I'm still in the Murda Bizness."

Then we all laughed, continued the rap, and finished the whole song. I don't know how they knew all the lyrics, but they did. And I wanted that moment to last forever.

~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning I woke up to my phone ringtone. It was Nicholas calling.

"Hello?" I answered groggily.

"Hazel Grace Lancaster," he replied, "I demand to come over."

"May your demand be obeyed," I said with a giggle.

"Good."

"Good."

"Good," he said after forever.

"Well are you coming or what?" I responded, and then he hung up.

Nicholas came within seconds.

Of minutes.

Everything in life is really of something. Even life itself. But life is of anything you make it out to be.

"It's beautiful out here," Nicholas said once I opened the door. He was raising one eyebrow.

I laughed, "backyard?"

He nodded, and we headed to my backyard.

"It's so plain," Nicholas pointed out, "you have space, you should put, like, a swing set, or something."

It's like he was making these references that reminded me of Augustus on purpose. "We're sixteen, Nicholas Grady." I said, faking a laugh.

"Your point?" he replied, with a real laugh.

"I can't believe it," I responded, changing the subject.

"What?" he responded, clearly not knowing what I was referring too. "That I still like swing sets?"

I chuckled, "no."

"Then?" he wondered, the n trailing off as if he was waiting for me to finish the sentence.

"I can't believe I'm going to blow up, when you just got your explosion delayed."

"I like the metaphor," Nicholas added, "but don't worry, Hazel Grace Lancaster. We will meet again, where ever all of those whom passed go."

"On the bright side," Nicholas rambled on, "you will soon reunite with the love of your life. If I am not mistaken."

"You are not," I told him, "but that is if all beliefs in after life are true."

"It's not that I believe in after life," Nicholas stated. "I believe in love."