Chapter Three

I walked straight down to their basement, not needing any direction, this place was like a second home.

Mr. & Mrs. Waters left to get me a snack. Or at least that's what they said, I'm pretty sure they just wanted to give me a little time alone. That's what I needed.

This was his room.

Where he commented on my under oxygenated hands, where we talked about An Imperial Affliction and The Price of Dawn, and where Isaac smashed his basketball trophies.

It looked so different, it looked normal now, like any other boring room in this house. This wasn't his room anymore, because he wasn't here anymore.

When I was just about to burst into tears, Mrs. Waters came back down with a plate of her famous enchiladas. I grabbed one and poked it to see if there was any meat.

"I vegetarian-ized them," she stated, as she observed me poking at the food.

"You remembered," I said, smiling.

"How could I forget?" she smiled back, her smile looked just like Augustus'.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Can I keep this?" I asked, it was Augustus' basketball jersey that he used to hang on his wall, with the rest of his basketball collection. Waters 32.

"Uh-" they seemed unsure about giving it to me. "Of course you can."

"Are you sure? I understand if you'd like to keep it," I said, trying to sound understanding, but I really wanted his jersey.

"No, really. It's alright Hazel." they still seemed unsure, but I accepted.

"Thank you."

"It's our pleasure."

~~~~~~~~~~

Once we finished, I looked at Augustus' old wall clock, it was about 4:35.

I got up quickly, giving off the impression that I needed to get out of here, as soon as possible.

"What's the matter, Hazel?" Mrs. Waters asked, concerned.

"Oh, it's just, I've got to go. I forgot to tell my Mom that I was here," I answered. "She must be worried."

"Oh Hazel," she chuckled. "Don't worry! I have already informed your Mother."

Thank God.

"Oh, thank you Mrs. Waters!" I said, sighing in relief.

"You're welcome Hazel."

Mr. Waters came down to the basement, bringing three good-looking sandwiches. I was so hungry.

"Yum," I said, "Which one can I take?"

He laughed, "Which ever one you want, but I highly suggest you pick that one," he said, pointing at the least delicious-looking one. "Because that is the only one without meat."

"Guess I have no choice," I said.

Although, I did have a choice, I could eat the one with meat. The one that looked the yummiest. Or the other sandwich, which also contained meat. But, I didn't. Why? Because I made a promise to myself, I am a vegetarian. And I feel like it is my responsibility to minimize the casualties.

~~~~~~~~~~

I finally got home.

That was hard, but it was something I needed.

I got: Gus' basketball jersey, most of his books, and one of his pillows. They gave me a very peculiar look when I asked for it, but they let me keep it anyway.

"Hey Mom, Dad. Sorry I forgot to tell you I wasn't going to be home yet." I said, as I entered the living room.

"That's okay darling," my Mom said, assuringly.

"It's a good thing Mrs. Waters did for you," my Dad added.

"Yeah," I said, trying to get out of this conversation before they asked how it was.

As I walked up the stairs to my bedroom, I heard a faint "Hazel," but I ignored it. I'm sure they would understand that I'd much rather not talk about it.

Today was a long day, filled with unexpected emotional turns. And all I wanted was to just go to sleep, after all, sleep fights cancer. Exactly. I had cancer. Therefore, before I did so, I had to grab my cannula from my oxygen tank and put it on my BiPAP. Then, I could just hit the snooze button.