Epilogue

"Coffee?" Flynn said as I was showing him to the door after his consultation session. 

"Definitely. Call me." I smiled and handed him one of my name cards while opening the door for Flynn. After ending my 5-hour shift, I threw myself onto the chair in my office. I glanced over at the picture of Dimown and a notification from my phone rung. 'What time do you get off work?' A message from an unknown number shined across the screen. My tapping fingers quickly glided across the keyboard to type out a reply. 'Around 6 pm.' I hit send and almost immediately, Flynn had responded, asking to meet up at a cafe in the city after I was done with work. 

Frustrated from fixing the mess I call my hair in the rearview mirror, I sighed and leaned back on my car seat. I reached into my purse and fumbled around in search of my favourite tube of lipgloss and carefully applied a layer of it on my lips. I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear and did some final checks on my appearance before getting out of my car. I took a quick peek at my watch, 6:30 pm, fashionably late as always. I pushed the door of the snug little cafe tucked in the corner of the street in the middle of the bustling city. The cool breeze of the air conditioning in the cafe gently caressed my face as the lighting drastically changed. There he sat, Flynn Hawley, the man whom I owed my life to.

His hand lightly tapped the table to the rhythm of the music he was listening to on his phone,  completely unaware of my approach to the seat opposite of him. I sat there for a few seconds, thinking about what we needed to talk about to figure this mess out. "Hey, Earth to Flynn." I waved my hand in his face, trying to catch his attention. Flynn slightly jumped and grew wide-eyed when he saw me as he pulled off his earphones in a rush. "Hey, sorry. I didn't notice you were here." Flynn smiled at me, warming my heart instantaneously. "I'm honestly just wondering how you survived the nightmare with that lack of wits." I laughed, shaking my head at him. "I'm sorry, I wonder who was the one that protected you throughout the whole thing. Definitely not me, right." Flynn rolled his eyes and let out a chuckle. God, it feels like it's been ages since I've seen him.

"Speaking of which, how exactly are you here?" I leaned in curious on what explanation he had for the impossible. "Well uh..." Flynn paused, his face turned serious. "I drove," Flynn said with a poker face. "I can't believe you just said that." I facepalmed and started laughing along with Flynn.

"Okay, on a serious note." Flynn stopped laughing and contemplated the entire situation.

I opened the glass door to show myself out of the barrier room, trying my best to ignore Violet's sobbing so I wouldn't just run-up to her and give her another comforting hug. I hid behind the wall next to the door, waiting for the right moment to say goodbye to this cruel world. The moment I heard Violet's sobbing disappear into the abyss, I grabbed the small pocket knife Violet handed to me earlier at the park from my pocket. I guess this is it.

My eyes shot open and darted around, cold sweat dripping my face, feeling the adrenaline of anxiety rush through every bone in my body. My vision was blurry as if I'd just woken up from hibernation. Eventually, my sight cleared up and all I could see was a fogged-up glass tube surrounding my body. I could hear every breath I took through the oxygen mask I had on loud and clear. I reached my hand towards the glass in front of me, wiping away the water vapour that had formed from my breathing. Across me was another sleeping pod, the one Violet was supposed to be in. But she wasn't there. 

A loud pfft sound rang as my sleeping pod unpressurised, I glanced over to my right, someone was standing there at the control panel. "You're awake." the voice was familiar, not necessarily one I've heard multiple times, but it was a unique one. Raspy and deep with a hint of sadness. I reached towards the oxygen mask that I was wearing and peeled it off while stepping out of the sleeping pod. Graham gave me a few minutes to collect my thoughts before trying to explain everything.