Burn 'Em All

"We're here." My dad shakes Glen and I awake.

"Hmm?" I mumble out, not wanting to open my eyes. I feel like we've been in this car forever but I've grown to love this car. For more reasons than one.

"We're here." He says again. Glen and I sit up and stretch out a bit as we take in the place we're to call home for the next...however many days, weeks, months, years it takes for the government to figure out a way to stop the X virus.

"Where are we?" Glen asks.

"Las Vegas." My dad says, getting out of the car, the rest of us doing the same.

"Will they have room for us here?" I ask quietly as I stare ahead at the thousands of people getting out of their cars, hoping to find safety within the walls of the MGM Grand hotel that has been secured by the army for quarantine.

"I've always wanted to come to Vegas and stay at this very hotel." Glen bends down and whispers to me with a smile. "Guess I get my wish now huh?" He bumps shoulders with me and I chuckle as my family and I make our way up the stairs into the hotel.

"I need to check your temperature." The soldier standing at the front gate tells a man in front of us. He is with a woman and two small children. I'm assuming his wife and kids.

"I'm fine." The man maneuvers away from the soldier holding the thermometer. The other soldier raises his gun and tells the man that they only way he can get in is if they check his temperature.

But the man refuses again.

"Daddy!" The little girl, who looks to be about two, pulls at his leg.

"One second honey." He looks down and tells her.

"Jeff please." His wife begs him. Why is she begging him?

"Check my wife and children in please." The man says and pushes his family in front of him. The soldier checks and clears them and another one escorts them in.

"Are you infected?" The soldier with the gun asks the man. I can see the sweat dripping off the mans forehead and how labored his breathing is. When the man doesn't speak the soldier asks him again. "Are you infected?" The soldier raises his voice. The man takes a step back. My father immediately pushes us backwards and I almost fall down the stairs. It's like he knew what was about to happen.

"Dad?" I question him. He places a protective hand around us as one soldier rolls the thermometer across the mans forehead and gives the other soldier with the gun a head nod.

The man fell less than a foot in front of me. Blood oozing from a small hole that is where is temple once was. I'm sure parts of it are splattered on the concrete steps. I shut my eyes tightly and imagine the man's family that just went inside, how those children won't ever get to see their father again. How he won't get to watch them grow up.

"It's okay." Glen tells me rubbing both my arms, up and down. I can feel my breathing starting to pick up and I know an episode is coming. "Just stay calm, Spence." Glen whispers to me.

"That man." I say, not daring to open my eyes.

"I know." He says as he continues to rub my arms. "He was sick though Spence, he was gonna die anyways." Glen says and I know he's right. No one has survived the X virus. Not yet anyways.

"They shot him in the head." I breathe out.

"It's the only way to insure he doesn't come back." Glen says in a soft voice.