Saving Grace

"Daaaad!" I shout as another walker approaches me. My dad turns from the walker he just stabbed in the head and hurries over to me, shooting the walker in the head in the process.

"You okay?" He questions me and I know.

"Arthur more are coming!" My mom shouts as she continues to shoot the approaching walkers.

"Why are there so many coming?" Glen asks, shooting walkers too.

"I don't know." My dad shakes his head. Every time they kill one five more appear from the woods. As we were exiting the house we were scavenging we got ambushed. Luckily we're always on guard and expected it. I'm not allowed to shoot guns yet so all I have is a pocket knife my dad gave to me before this all started.

I know right. We're in the middle of a zombie apocalypse and I'm not allowed a gun.

As my dad shoots another walker in the head I realize something. All the other walkers that were walking towards Glen changed direction and started after my dad.

"Glen, shoot your gun." I tell him and he gives me a puzzled look. "Just do it." I tell him. He shrugs and turns around shooting his gun in the air. "I meant shoot a walker but okay." I shake my head at him.

"Well you didn't specify." He shrugs.

"They're attracted to the noise." I say as it dawns on me.

"What?" My dad questions.

"The gunshots. They're attracted to them." I clarify and my dad shoots a walker in the head and notices when all the rest that were headed towards my brother stray towards him.

"You're right!" He half shouts.

"We need to get some quieter weapons." Glen says.

"Oh yeah, let me just check my stash." I joke.

"There was a sheriffs station about two miles down the road. Maybe they'll have some silencers or something." Glen says.

"Good idea son." My dad says. Hey! I was the one that noticed the attraction to sound. Glen smiles back at me and I roll my eyes and shake my head at him.

Always wanting praise from dad.

"Everyone needs to keep up." Tim bellows out to the group as we run through the woods. We had to kill about twenty walkers so far and it doesn't seem like they're gonna let up. The huge mass that was headed towards us is still following us.

"We can't run all night. It's getting too dark." My dad points out and we know he's right. We've tried running through the woods at night before. It's not fun.

"I have a plan." Aiden says from somewhere behind me. Jessica and Francisco are being carried on Glen and Tim's back so they won't slow us down too much. My mom, dad and I are towards the front of the group while Aiden, Ashley and Kyla are in the back. Kyla is having a hard time keeping up with her hurt ankle.

"We're listening." Tim says when Aiden doesn't continue.

"Oh!" Aiden says and I shake my head. It really isn't all there for him. I inwardly chuckle at the thought of him and Glen together. How they're about as equally dumb.

"Aiden the plan." Ashley says and I can tell she's frustrated with him.

"How about I cut myself and run in a different direction most of them will follow me and you guys and take out the rest so we can all rest up a bit. You know I'm fast."