Chapter Seven

Things were still kind of tense between Rebekkah and I as we sat across from each other at lunch on Monday. Alright, I admit, she seemed fine. But I was still on edge.

Aaron walked by our lunch table, walking facing me, so his back was to Rebekkah. He smiled at me and made a face. I tried to hide my smile, but couldn’t help but let it creep up on my face as he passed by.

“Why are you smiling?” Rebekkah asked.

“Oh, nothing.” I shook my head and turned back to my food.

o .  O  . o

Chemistry class was about to start, and Aaron came up to me.

“Hey, I need to talk to you after class,” he said.

“Okay,” I said, more like a question.

Throughout the entire class period, I could only wonder what he wanted to talk to me about. I barely even paid attention to what was going on.

Finally, the bell rang. Aaron and I were the last two in the classroom.

“So what did you need to talk to me about?” I asked.

He turned to me. “It’s actually more of a warning. My aunt will be at my house tonight ‘cause she’s visiting. And she’s a little… crazy.”

“Crazy?” I echoed.

“Yeah. She acts like she’s still in middle school. So I hope you won’t mind…”

“Of course not,” I said. I looked out the door and saw Rebekkah waiting for me, watching us while trying to look unsuspicious.

“Good,” he said. “I’ll see you later then.”

“Yeah,” I replied. “See you.” I waited until he left before I followed suit. I passed by Rebekkah, pretending not to see her. I went on to the English room purposefully looking innocent, so Rebekkah wouldn’t get the wrong idea.

o .  O  . o

After school, I didn’t even leave my locker before Rebekkah came to talk to me, as I suspected she’d do.

“So what was Aaron talking to you about?”

This was getting annoying. I said quickly, “He was warning me that his aunt was going to be at his house tonight. Okay? Goodbye.” I tried to get around her but she stopped me by grabbing my arm. I grimaced.

“I thought you said nothing was going on,” she said.

“What are you talking about?” I asked. “You jealous?”

Rebekkah replied, “Not if there’s nothing to be jealous of. So you tell me.”

“He doesn’t even care about the interview,” I said. “So lay off a little, will you?”

“If he doesn’t care, why would he go out of his way to warn you about his aunt?” she asked with a harsh tone of voice.

I sighed and said, “You’re the one that made me do this in the first place. Don’t forget that part.”

Rebekkah finally let go of my arm. She seemed to collect herself and calm down a little. “Maybe you’re right. I’m just jealous.”

I adjusted the bag on my shoulder. “Rebekkah,” I said. “I wouldn’t do anything to hurt you. You know that, right?”

She nodded. I just… I’ll talk to you later, Cayda. You have an interview to get to.”

“Ok.”