Chapter Nine

I danced my way through the morning classes and hummed as I skipped into the cafeteria for lunch. I neatly placed my books on the lunch table, cheerfully patting each book as I put them down.

“You seem like you’re in a very good mood,” Rebekkah remarked, looking at me with a baffled expression.

“Oh, you know.” I shrugged. “The sun rise was beautiful this morning, wasn’t it?” I smiled dreamily and rested my chin on my hands.

She looked at me like I was crazy. “So, Cayda…” she said. “I’ve been meaning to talk about a couple things.”

I sat down in the seat across from her. “Fire away.”

“I was wondering if you found anything out about Aaron that I wanted to know.”

“Like what?” I asked.

“What about that girl he likes?” she inquired. “Did you find out who she was?”

“Nope.”

“Okay… Did you find out about his necklace?”

I thought about telling her. It wouldn’t really hurt if I did, right? But it just felt wrong to me to tell her something that Aaron trusted me with, so I kept my mouth shut.

I shook my head. “He didn’t like to talk about it.” It wasn’t a total lie.

“Then what the heck do you do over there?” she asked.

“The article is more about his opinion on girls, not about his personal life.”

She sighed. “I know. I guess I just thought you were doing this to get all those details to help me out here. I obviously misunderstood.”

“I guess you did,” I stated.

o .  O  . o

I was glad to get away from Rebekkah as soon as lunch ended. I swiftly got my books and walked out of the cafeteria. But before I could go down to the locker hallway, I was pulled into an empty classroom. I couldn’t see who it was at the moment, but I smelled the cologne immediately. “Aaron! We’ll be late!” I whispered.

“I don’t care,” he said stubbornly, finally letting me go. “I couldn’t wait until tonight came. He kissed me, putting his hand on my back to pull me closer.

“Aaron!” I said, playfully swatting at him.

“What?” he asked innocently.

“Someone will see,” I whispered, looking past him at the closed door.

“Why does it have to be a secret?” he asked.

“I don’t know...” I said. “It’s complicated.”

“But we’re going to tell people soon, right?” He looked at me, concerned.

I tried so hard to say the word ‘no’ but what came out was, “Of course.” I mentally slapped myself in the face.

“Good,” he muttered, giving me one more kiss. “Let’s get to class.”

o .  O  . o

I got off the motorcycle at Aaron’s house. I didn’t feel as sick as I had before. We walked inside his house and went up to his room. He proceeded to sit on his couch and turn on the TV.

“What are you doing?” I asked. “We have an interview, you know.”

He turned on his Wii and answered, “Playing Donkey Kong Country 3. Want to join?”