Chapter Twelve

After my encounter with Noah, I walked home. I decided not to take the bus, that way I would have more quiet time to think about what exactly I'd say in the article. How was I going to explain everything without actually saying what happened?

I took out my yellow notebook. I felt like it'd been ages since I used it last. I opened it to the first page. It was information I'd found about Aaron from his Facebook page. I flipped to another page and read his answer to the question, 'What's your preference on girls' looks?' Then I read when I'd first asked him about his necklace. I flipped a few more pages until I saw the notes I'd taken when he told me about his mother. I remembered that interview clearly. He'd told me about the chain when his crazy aunt was there. Aunt Crystal. Just thinking about it made me smile. That was the first time I actually had feelings for Aaron-not out of sympathy after he told me about his mom, but when our foreheads touched and I wanted time to stop. That's when I knew I felt something more for him than I ever had for anyone else.

But all that fell away.

It was my fault, really. I had totally misjudged Aaron, which got me into a heck of a lot of trouble.

Everything clicked. I knew what I would write in the article.

I sat on the curb right on the side of the road. I flipped to a new page of my notebook and started writing. The words flowed from my heart onto the page. Once I thought it to be finished, I jogged the rest of the way home. I quickly got onto my laptop and typed it up. I printed off the final, proof-read copy, signed:

"Hidden Cicada."

o . O . o

I handed the paper to Noah.

He skimmed over it and asked, "So this is the name you want it to be signed by?"

"Yes."

"Hidden Cicada," he said aloud. "It has a nice ring to it."

"Just... Don't let anyone know who really wrote it, alright?"

He nodded. "Of course."

The bell for the first class rang, and we parted ways.

o . O . o

At lunch, I walked into the cafeteria. AJ waved me over to her table, which was empty except for her and another guy. He had blonde hair, blue eyes, and fair skin. I guessed he was Nick. Or as he would go here, Tyler.

I sat down by AJ and said, "Hey; thanks for waving me over here."

"I thought it was an upgrade from sitting at the lockers," she said. "And you need to be properly introduced. Nick, this is Cayda. Cayda, meet Nick."

We said hello to each other.

Then Nick said, "Actually, before you got over here, AJ and I were just arguing about the dance thing coming up."

"Dance?" I repeated.

"Yeah, the Spring Dance," AJ said. "It's next weekend. You haven't heard about it? Nick's bedding me to go, but I do not want to."

I was surprised. I guess I'd been so busy, I hadn't heard too much about it. I asked, "So why don't you want to go?"

"Yeah, AJ," Nick said. "I was looking forward to seeing you in a dress!"

She smacked his arm. "Over my dead body."

"You've never worn a dress?" I asked, surprised.

"She's the biggest tomboy ever," Nick replied. "She hadn't even done her hair."

"I have, too!" AJ said defensively.

"You have to go, then," I said.

"Yeah, you do," Nick said. "See, AJ? Cayda agrees."