Chapter Ten

I woke up early, feeling rested and alive. I could have sworn I heard birds chirping. I didn't worry about wearing a beret, and I put on my favorite top-a frilly, floral blouse-that I usually only dared to wear at important events. But today, I felt like a new person. A new person what somehow was more me.

I took the bus to school, without a complaint in mind, despite the lovey-dovey couple in the back and ketchup packets being thrown at a geek. Once it stopped, I basically jumped out and skipped up to the school. A song was playing through my head. I noticed people staring at me, but I wasn't surprised. I felt like a totally new being; it was possible that I was glowing.

But as I walked into the building, I realized I was getting different kind of stares from the people I walked by. They were almost judgmental. Disgusted. Skeptical. My good feelings diminished. It's amazing how much it takes to gain happiness, but it is so easily snatched away.

I quickly found Rebekkah at her locker. "What's going on?" I asked with a feeling of panic.

Her face was impassive. "You haven't seen the paper yet?" She had the school newspaper in her grasp. I snatched it out of her hand. The headline was the first thing that caught my eye:

"AARON BECKSLEY AND CAYDA FAYETTE: HIDDEN ROMANCE?"

My eyes widened. Right underneath that was a picture, obviously taken through Aaron's window, of he and I kissing.

"Oh my gosh," I muttered. My head swam and it was heard to breath, as if something was pushing down onto my chest. I looked at Rebekkah, whose firm expression had been replaced by hurt and anger. I found it scary but couldn't blame her for feeling this way.

I ran down the hallway to throw-up in the bathroom. A number of words were thrown at my on the way there, words I wouldn't dare to repeat-words that will always haunt me in my nightmares.

I finally reached the bathroom, and ran into a stall. I clutched the sides of the toilet seat, convinced I was going to hurl. But nothing came up.

I finally had the courage to come out at lunch time. Actually, I was just starving. Crying a lot can really make you hungry. I walked into the cafeteria wondering where I should sit. I had gotten and paid for my lunch and looked for Rebekkah. But Tiff saw me-the well-known and self-proclaimed diva of the school.

She announced, "The tramp has entered the cafeteria!" There were laughs and catcalls. A few guys even asked for my number-seriously or jokingly, I didn't know. My face grew warm and tears threatened to spill over. I could not cry. I would not cry.

I grabbed my stuff and quickly got out of there. I decided to just eat at my locker. I ate in silence until the bell rang for the next class to start. I threw my trash away. A wave of panic came over me as I realized that I'd have to sit by Aaron. Of course, I wasn't able to think of a believable excuse to get out of class. So I walked into the room, my chin up. I tried not to let my lips quiver as Aaron sat down next to me.

The class droned on. Whenever I dared to try and look at Aaron, he was looking forward with a blank expression. I knew him, though. I could tell by his set jaw and the way he sat with his muscles tense that he was angry.

Finally, I couldn't stand it any longer. While the teacher was turned to write on the board, I muttered so he could hear me, "I'm guessing you read the paper."

A few seconds passed by, long enough to make me wonder if he had heard me. But he then said, "Yeah. I read it." He paused, as if wondering if he should go on. "I can't believe I ever trusted you." His voice was low and accusing.

"I didn't write it," I said in defense.

"Then who did?" he questioned. "And how did they find out-"