The Cottage

When I get in the car, I see the twins and the two young boys.

"Hi." I say awkwardly and smile.

"Hi hi hi hi! We can finally see you, we're so excited. We'll have a great time!"

Aw that's cute. How do they even have this much energy this early in the morning? Like seriously.

Who needs coffee when you've got these guys, I think to myself. 

My dad starts the engine.

"Okay kids, we just need to pick up your mother alright?"

"Then we can leave for the cottage, dad?" A little boy with a red polo shirt says.

"Yep! Four hour drive, who's excited?"

"Us, us!" The twin girls shouts in my ear.

Four hours? My mother never said anything about this. Um, excuse me. What is this? Like anybody has time for that kind of stuff. 

As much as I love road trips and all, four hours is like a ride to hell, if I have to be with my father.

I try to find distractions, so as to avoid thinking about it and to not have to converse with anyone as well.

I realize that I hadn't called Harry when I was home, because I was rushed out. Instead, I just text him, because anyways 1. It's too loud in this car and 2. It's still too early; I don't wanna wake him up.

"Not home for the weekend, I don't know if I'll have service to call or text-going to my dad's cottage .xx"

He doesn't reply until a good half an hour later.

Alright, thanks for letting me know, have a good time .xx"

After we pick up the kids' mom, they put some really bad music on, it hurts my ear. So, I just put in my earphones and I simply ignore them. I look outside for the whole ride. The scenery is quite nice, but at some point I just fall asleep because there isn't much to do and I get bored.

It took forever before we actually got to our location. It was more of a drive. Every time we stopped at service centers and such, I never left the car. I guess that's another reason why my legs are killing me now. I've been sitting in the same position for hours. I haven't spoken to anybody. I slept most of the trip and just listened to music for the other half.

Once we reach the cottage, the twins wake me up. I think they're a year or two younger than me.

"It's really nice. The cottage I mean." I say, as soon as we get out of the van.

"Five years since we have this place for us!"

"Lovely." I say. The little boys drag me inside and I guess they just wanted to show me their video game collection or something.

"Boys, let her settle in her room first, alright?"

"So she's getting a room for herself?" One of the twins said.

"Yeah, why not? We've got the guest room."

"Geez dad, that's not fair! And yet we have to share rooms with the boys!"

Um, okay sorry? "I don't mind sharing a room with you girls, really."

"Seriously?" They mumble.

"No, you will have your own room!" My dad insists.

This concerns me. Yes, I do want privacy, but why are you being so sketchy dad? Looks like I'm not gonna be having any sleep at night. I'm gonna have to stay up alone in that room, if I intend on staying alone, to make sure that nothing happens to me.