Part 1

This is the first excerpt from The Betryal, which continues the story of Elizabeth Jacobs and Danny Newman, that began in Hollywood Princess. I plan to post additional chapters, one each week. Please come back,and visit this page regularly to read how the story develops.

________________________________________________________________________________

Moonlight, filtered through sheers covering the floor to ceiling windows, cast an ethereal glow on the man and womean sharing the king-sized bed. It was a testament to the hurry they had been in that neither had stopped to consider pulling the heavy drapes closed. But that was okay.

Up on the twenty-second floor of the Four Seasons Hotel in Vancouver, privacy was a given. Yet it was far from quiet. Deapite its lofty position, the spacious suite with its city views, was not immue from the noise of evening traffic or the glow from distant streetlights and neon, for it was not that late.

The couple didn’t care. Naked, joined together in the throes of passion, completely into each other and the moment, ambient noise and light made no difference. Nothing was going to interrupt them.

Luxury bedcovers and sheets askew, throw pillows tossed about; the couple ignored these.

Loud moans and heated panting built to a crescendo. They were almost finished now.  The man, tall with rippling muscles, moved effortlessly in synch with the woman beneath him. Long, slender legs tightly wrapped around his waist, while similarly long, slender fingers gripped his back.

Straight dark hair splayed out across the white pillowcase. One final grunt and the man collapsed into the satisfied woman.

“Let’s give them something to talk about,” Bonnie Rait’s voice cut through the silence. Bonnie Raitt?

“My phone,” the man mumbled, and he reached across the slender woman to the night stand.

“Now?” The woman was clearly unhappy with the inopportune timing of the interruption.

Bonnie Raitt began a second chorus.

“It’s my girlfriend,” the man explained as he picked up the iPhone.

“Hey, baby,” he said, all sugary sweeet and fully alert now.

“You sound tired.”

He glanced at the brunette, now lying against his side, her bony fingers resting across his chest.

“It’s been a hectic day. I was on the set by seven,” he said. “I don’t have your cushy ten to six job,” he teased.

“I’m sorry,” she apologized. “It’s easy to forget. I won’t be long. You need your sleep. Steve works you so hard.”

“Thanks, babe. I have an early call again tomorrow.”

“Two more days,” she squealed. “I can’t wait for Friday. I’m planning some evil for you, honey.”

“Oh, I hope so,” he answered with a yawn.

“Oh. You are tired. I’ll call earlier tomorrow. I love you, honey.”

“I can’t wait for Friday, too. I love you, baby. Sweet dreams,” and the man put the phone down next to his hand on the mattress.

“Now, where were we,” the woman trilled.

She reached her hand to the man’s face, and pressed her lips to his.

Again, the phone rang, a standard ring-tone. The woman groaned in disbelief as the man picked up the phone.

“Oh, no,” he groaned, and then answered. “Hey, Dad. What’s up?”

“I’m going to sleep and so should you. I’m your reminder that the car’s meeting us at six-thirty.”

“I won’t forget. My wake-up call is already set,” and he ended the call.

By now the woman, covering herself with the sheet, had sat up.

“You should go,” she said without any rancour in her voice. “First your girlfriend, now your Dad. I’m getting a case of bad karma here.”