Chapter Five - I Miss You

Alex’s POV

Since the argument between Jack and Lisa this morning, I hadn’t seen Jack anywhere. I’d looked near the lockers, around the playground and various classes. I guess I’d just have to hope he’d turn up to Music on the first bell. I arrived to class and sat down, looking at the empty seat beside me where Jack would sit. 5 minutes passed after the bell and the teacher wandered over slowly to see me frowning over my book in which I was writing lyrics in. “Alex is everything okay? Where’s Jack?” I looked up, covering the page in my book over. “I’m fine and I don’t know sir.” I looked back down at my book. “Did something happen this morning between him and someone else?” I looked back up at the teacher, closing my book over. “Yes and I don’t want to talk about it. I just want to find him.” I stuffed my book into my rucksack and slung it over my back and headed towards the door of the classroom. Everyone watched me walk towards the door and as I reached to turn the door handle the teacher spoke. “I know where Jack is Alex. If you leave this classroom now you’ll regret it.” I looked up. “Where is he?”

“He’s in the music studio down the end of the corridor. You can go and talk to him after this lesson not now, so please sit down.” I sighed and went back over to my seat and sat down.

When the bell rang I ran down to the music studio and opened the door. Jack was sitting there, an electric guitar in his lap, strumming out I Miss You by Blink 182. “Jack…” He immediately jumped up, almost dropping the guitar. “Alex, I-“

“It’s fine bro chill.” He sat down and put the guitar back on his lap. “Did sir tell you I was in here?”

“Yeah he did.” I looked at Jack. “Why’d you get so upset earlier when Lisa called you gay?”

“I don’t know it just got to me. I really don’t know why.” I thought I should stop asking him questions about that. “I heard you playing some Blink. I Miss You wasn’t it?” He nodded, smiling. “I’d like to hear you play.” He looked at me, scared. “I’m rubbish come on Alex I’m rubbish. You really don’t wanna hear me play!” I leant forward a few inches away from his face. “I know you are amazing.” I saw his mouth curve upwards and I moved away. He began playing the guitar melody and I knew I had to sing along with it just to prove he knew he was safe with me and that he could trust me.

“Miss you, miss you.” Jack looked up at me while still playing the guitar, his mouth opened which then returned to a smile and he began to concentrate back on playing the guitar.

“Hello there,

The angel from my nightmare,

The shadow in the background of the morgue,

The unsuspecting victim of darkness in the valley,

We can live like Jack and Alex if we want.”

Jack giggled when I changed the lyric from Sally to Alex.

“Where you can always find me,

And we’ll have Halloween on Christmas,

And in the night we’ll wish this never ends,

We’ll wish this never ends,

I miss you, miss you,

Where are you and I’m so sorry,

I cannot sleep I cannot dream tonight,

I need somebody and always,

This sick strange darkness,

Comes creeping on so haunting every time,

And as I stared I counted,

The webs from all the spiders,

Catching things and eating their insides,

Like indecision to call you,

And hear your voice of treason,

Will you come home and stop this pain tonight,

Stop this pain tonight.”

Jack stopped playing. “You were just getting to the good bit!” He smiled and began to play the chorus.

“Don’t waste your time on me you’re already the voice inside my head,

Don’t waste your time on me you’re already the voice inside my head…”

Jack’s POV

I stopped playing the guitar and looked over at Alex who had tears in his eyes. It was the same for me. I didn’t know he had a voice like that. His voice was like an angel. “Jack we need to make a band. Like seriously. I’m not even joking. Your incredibly talented on the guitar!” I felt my cheeks burning red and something just sparked in my mind and words came out of my mouth that I’d never thought I’d say to Alex’s face. “I love you Alex. I really love you.”

“What?” I sat there staring at Alex and then realizing what I said, looked around and then back to Alex. “I love you…”