Chapter Twenty Seven - Gunned Down

Alex’s POV

I sat holding Jack tightly in my arms on the hotel bed, listening to the cop sirens outside as more and more of them turned up. The soft sobs from Jack were muffled due to the fact that he was crying into my chest, causing a large wet patch to appear on my shirt. “We’ll get home by Christmas morning tomorrow. I promise you Jack.” I ran my fingers through his hair, rubbing his arm as I did so. I wanted to comfort him as much as I could. “THERE’S A DEAD BODY OVER HERE!” I felt Jack squeeze me tighter. They’d found Amanda’s body lying on the pavement outside the hotel and I tried to get the image of her dead body lying lifeless out of my head from earlier. I felt myself holding back all of the tears. I was only doing it for Jack. I needed to be strong for him but it was harder than I thought. One single tear rolled down my cheek and I sniffled and rested my chin on top of Jack’s head, rocking him back and forth gently. “It’s okay, it’s okay. Everything is going to be okay.”

“PUT YOUR HANDS UP MR BARAKAT!” Jack gripped onto me tighter. I covered both of his ears incase something bad happened. “PUT DOWN THE GUN MR BARAKAT!” I was curious as to what was happening outside. I uncovered Jack’s ears. “Jack stay on the bed. I want to see what’s going on outside.” I got up and Jack moved to where I was sat, rocking back and forth. I moved over to the window and peered through the curtain enough for me to see what was going on. It was a gunpoint stand off between Jack’s dad and the cops. “PUT THE GUN DOWN OR WE WILL SHOOT!” Jack’s dad raised the gun higher. Every muscle in my body was clenching up. Then he shot and killed a cop and that was it. A cop shot him back. Jack’s dad fell to the floor with a thud. My heart was beating so fast and I saw a figure appear from the hospital doors. It was Jack’s mum. She was innocent, she never hurt Jack but she watched him get hurt. My gut feeling was to move away from the window and go and comfort Jack again, but I wanted to see what was happening at the same time. His mum kneeled down beside his dad’s dead body and took his gun before aiming directly at all of the cops. She started screaming and then that led to shooting. She was then gone. They were both gone now for good.

Jack’s POV

My whole body was shaking. I didn’t know why guns were being fired outside. Only Alex had seen what had happened. He moved back over to the bed and cradled me in his arms. “Your parents are dead Jack. Everything’s okay now.”

“That’s what the gun shots were?” I looked up at him and he nodded. I felt his fingers run through my hair and I felt slightly calmer. I always did when he did it. “I’ve figured out that we’re not too far from the train station to get back to Baltimore but the problem is Amanda has the money and I don’t know if it’s on her dead body or in this hotel room.” I tried to process what Alex has just said, but I couldn’t and I broke down crying again. “Oh Jacky babe.” He cuddled me and kissed my forehead. “Please don’t worry Jack.” I tried to speak through my sobs. “She normally keeps her money in her car.” I looked at the car keys on the bedside table. “Okay we’ll go and check once the cops are gone, alright?” I just nodded, gripping onto Alex’s shirt, his arms wrapping around me. I felt safe here and honestly I didn’t want to move but I knew we had to get back to Baltimore in time for Christmas. I knew Alex’s mum would be worried about him. His phone died the other day and he didn’t bring his charger with him, so it is partly his fault. An ambulance arrived outside the hotel, taking the 3 corpses away.

It had been an hour since the cops had arrived outside the hotel and since then it had been silent. I looked across at Alex who was fast asleep and he still had his arms wrapped around me. “Alex, I think it’s clear outside now.” I looked over to the clock on the wall and it read 4am. It was Christmas Eve. We needed to get a train to Baltimore as soon as possible. Alex hadn’t woken up yet. I shook him by his shoulder and his eyes opened. “Wake up, we need to go now before the cops arrive again.”

“They’ve gone?”

“Yeah I think so. There are no cars outside.” He stretched out his arms and his legs and sat up. “Alright then.” He grabbed the car keys off the table and put them in his pocket. “How much did she say the train was for both of us to get to Baltimore?”

“I think she said it was 20 dollars.”

“Come on then we need to get going.” He slung his bag over his shoulder and grabbed my hand. When he opened the door, a small medicine bag was on the floor. “Must be your new chemotherapy pills?”

“Yeah it is.” He picked the bag up and looked at them. “For Jack. Chemotherapy pills. Take once daily like last time.” He placed them inside his bag carefully and zipped it up. “Let’s hope these don’t almost kill you this time.” I hit his arm. “Hey don’t say that!” He chuckled. “Come on idiot. We’ve got a train to catch.”

_________________________________

Sorry that it's so short guys! 

I promise the next chapter will be super duper long and excellent!!