Chapter Twenty - Painting Flowers

Jack’s POV

I lay awake on my bed staring up at the ceiling, a narrow line of light coming in from the gap between the curtains. It was 11 at night now and Alex had just text me that he’d gotten on the train and would be here in around 3 hours. I haven’t told anyone I’m going to meet him when he arrives. I knew if I did tell someone, I’d be locked in my room and there would be no way out. I just want some freedom. I know my parents have a death wish against me but I couldn’t care less. I just wanted Alex to be safe. The rain still hammered against the windowpane. It sounded like the rocks me and Alex used to throw against the tree in his yard. Of course, this was before I moved into his house when I told him about my dad. I don’t know why I’m bringing him up again. I wonder why my mum fell in love with him in the first place. As I listened to the rain again, I questioned why this had happened to me and not somebody else, but then again, if it was somebody else it could have easily been Alex.

1 hour passed and I was becoming tired, but I forced myself awake and sat up, continuing to listen to the rain as it hammered against the window. I’d received various texts from Alex throughout the past hour telling me about the emptiness of the train carriage he was currently sat in and how the raindrops on the window looked like they were racing each other. He’s a funny boy, but that’s probably why I love him so much. I could see that the light in the hallway was still on from the gap beneath the door to my room. I would hear footsteps now and again, and other kids voices coming from the other rooms. They were complaining about the thunder and the lightning, saying it was scary and was keeping them awake. To me, it was kind of soothing. The storm was the only thing keeping me awake, but happily of course. I could hear Amanda talking to one of the men who worked here. They were standing right outside my door, obviously ready to check up on me. I was correct. Amanda and the man walked in, turning on the lamp light slowly and shutting the door behind them. “Why aren’t you sleeping Jack?” Amanda looked at me, concerned. “I’m just thinking about Alex. Can’t I do that? All I wanted was some peace and you have to come and check on me!”

“We’re just making sure you’re okay Jack.” The man kneeled down in front of me to meet my gaze. “I’m fine though, why can’t you both see that? I’m just a young boy who wants some time to think about things!” Amanda nodded. “I understand. We’ll leave you be.” The man stood up and followed her out of the room. Once the light was off again and the door was shut, I returned to my thoughts and waited…

Alex’s POV

I understood the pain that Jack must be feeling right now. He could have easily fallen asleep, but he was staying awake just for me. I was almost in Ohio now and I decided that it was time to text Jack.

‘I’m almost here now babe. I think you should start walking up to that straight road you told me about and just stop anywhere so I can find you halfway. I can’t wait to hold you in my arms again. See you soon. Love you.’

I sent it. I’d been waiting to send a text like that since the moment he’d left Baltimore the other day. The sadness had left my mind and became replaced with hope and happiness. My phone buzzed.

‘Okay babe. I’m so excited to see you again. I’m going to have to use the old method with the rope out of the window because people are guarding the hallway outside my door here. I’ll let you know when I’m away and walking.’

This was the most important part. If Jack got caught climbing out of the window, I wouldn’t be able to find him and then he’d be in huge trouble and I probably wouldn’t be allowed in. It will be more my fault if it happens, but I had hope that it wouldn’t. The amount of times Jack had told me that he’d used a rope to climb out of a window, I was shocked. He was pretty talented with it to say the least. The train came to a stop at the station and I clambered off, walking out of the door into the heavy rain and following the directions Jack had given me earlier. I came to the long straight road. I could see it for miles but no sign of Jack yet so I figured I’d keep walking unless I came to the end of it.

Jack’s POV

I slowly hung the rope out of the window and tied the end to the post of my bed. I put my jacket on, zipping it up slowly so I didn’t make too much noise. I put my hood up before placing both of my hands around the rope and climbing down the side of the building. I tried to be as slow as possible, making each foot movement against the bricks as light as possible incase I made noise against the walls. I heard talking below me so I stopped half way down the wall and kept my face hidden beneath the hood of my jacket. I looked down and a man was standing there, smoking a cigarette in the pouring rain. Shit. I guess I’m going to have to wait here until he finishes. I pulled out my phone carefully from my pocket and text Alex.

‘I’m hanging above a man smoking right now so I’m going to have to wait until he finishes so I can climb all the way down. I’ll be as quick as I can babe, just don’t take any bends.’

I sent it, placing the phone back in my pocket, waiting for the man to finish. I heard footsteps coming from the other side. It was Amanda, walking towards the man. “Do you want to check up on Jack again once you’re finished?” The man continued to smoke. “Maybe. He seems a bit of a little dick don’t you think?”

“How can you say that when you’ve only just met the kid? You don’t know the full extent of what he’s been through and what he’s lost.” The man yet again continued to smoke his cigarette. I felt the anger burning up inside of me. Amanda was correct on everything she said. I don’t even know his name and he doesn’t know anything about me, so why the hell is he saying that stuff?! “Fine, I’ll come and check on him now.” He dropped the cigarette to the ground, before stepping on it and walking back inside the building with Amanda. As the door shut, I hurried down the rope, but still trying to be as quiet as possible. When my feet reached the ground, I let go of the rope immediately and ran for my life down the road. I rang Alex’s number.

“Jack are you okay?!”

“Yes I’m fine I made it. I’m just running now, I’ll be there soon. Where are you?”

“I’ve just stopped by the Wal-Mart on the road if that helps?”

“Yes I know where that is. Stay right there Alex!” I hung up the phone and ran for my life. I was so close to Alex again and I couldn’t believe it.

Alex’s POV

I stood in the streetlight in front of Wal-Mart, my jacket soggy from the heavy rain, which was still pouring. My heart was pounding, and my whole body was shaking. It felt like the day when I had my first kiss with Jack. All of the butterflies were circling in my stomach again. Everything was coming back. As I looked down the road I saw a skinny figure running my way down the road. That’s when I realised it was Jack. He was actually here again. “ALEX?!” His voice. It was him. Without a second thought I ran straight for him and embraced him. We were finally together again. Nothing was said except ‘I love you’ and ‘I missed you’. Tears streamed from my eyes and I could feel Jack sniffling on my shoulder. We pulled away from the long hug and we looked at each other. The pouring rain engulfed us both but when I looked him in the eyes, I felt like I was back in sunny Baltimore all over again. I moved closer to him and took hold of both of his hands and kissed him on the lips. Everything was right in this moment. I never wanted it to go away. The noise of a speeding car came down the road and the headlights beamed on us. The face of Amanda appeared as the window rolled down. “Hi Alex.” I just smiled at her and nothing else. “Jack get in the car now. You’re in serious trouble.”

“I’m not leaving without Alex.” I looked over at Jack, who was almost about to burst into tears again. “Fine, both of you get in. But I’ll be having serious words with both of you.” I let Jack get into the car first and I got in after him, placing my seatbelt over me and in. I took hold of Jacks hand to prevent him from shaking. I looked over at him and he looked back, sadness but happiness both in his eyes. He rested his head on my shoulder and I just hoped what Amanda had to say to us both wasn’t serious, and I was hoping it wasn’t about sending me back to Baltimore after all I’d been through to get back to Jack…