Chapter 14 - Graduation

Who would've guessed... graduation... working so hard for this moment in your life. Yet... you had no idea what you were going to do in the future. Maybe you would live off being the Queen of Hearts? Maybe something else would happen. The ceremony was as practiced, get called, walk on stage get your certificate, walk off and sit back down. Simple.

That's exactly what happened. What? did you think something extravagant would happen? Not a chance, no one knew what the Queen of Hearts looked like, so that was that. Holding back a squeal of delight as you walked off stage, you sat back down next to William who had already gotten his one. The ceremony was a tad bit too long but it was so worth it! All that was left was college... if you even knew what to major in...

~~~

Looking around the crowd of happy graduates and proud parents you spot your mother waving a hand. You smiled and approached her, she looked... happy even proud, dare you say. She takes you into a tight hug, not suffocating... no this was- this was loving, like she didn't want to let go.

"You know I'm proud of you?" You heard a sniffle in your shoulder, you promised yourself you wouldn't cry but here you were, tears and all. "I know i haven't been the best mother- hell i haven't been a mother at all... All those threats and- and hits you took... I'm so sorry- You would have been in better hands with your father I-," You take her out of the embrace stopping her mid muffled speech.

"Mum, It's ok, I still love you, all these years I always have and always will, I'm bruised and broken because of you but I don't blame this you, this happy you, I blame the intoxicated you," She nods her head slowly looking up into your e/c eyes. You sniffled as she pulled out a camera.

"I was wondering if you could teach me how to use this? This is the most important day of my girls life!" You giggle and take the camera off her, turning it on and pressing record. "Is it on?" You nod and look into the camera, pointing at your mother.

"Say hi!" She shyly waves hello as you pass it to her. "Just put your eye up to that and point it at what you want to film," She nods and does what you say, pointing it at a teary eyed you.

"This is to document my girls biggest day so far! I want to say I've never been so proud of someone in my entire life!" She laughs. "Do i press this to turn it off?" You nod and she does so.

"I'm just going to go see a friend, ok?" You take the camera off her and wave goodbye before walking over to William who was just talking to teachers. "Fair lady," You bow to the side of him, scaring him slightly.

"Good sir," He curtsy's to which you both chortle. You see this inside joke formed during one lunch time.

~~~

"Good day, fair lady," You bowed lowly as you were about to leave for classes.

"What am I meant to do? Curtsy?" You look up at him with an expecting grin. He snorts and curtsy's low. "Farewell, Good sir," You burst into a fit of laughter.

"If you greet me in any other way but that note I will ignore you," He nods and stifles a laugh before saying goodbye once more.

~~~

"Where is your family?" You ask him.

"Over there with the principal," He nods over to a woman and man, with a plump boy talking to the principal.

"Well, in honour of this grand moment I shall document it for scientific purposes," You hold out the camera and press record. "Say hello to the boy who is able to identify 201(?) different types of tobacco ash," He looks awkwardly both sides before nodding at the camera. "C'mon, Will, do something more!" He looked around once more before doing a pirouette. "There he is,"

"Kaboom!" You feel pressure on your shoulders push you down and sudden noise making you yelp in fright. "Sup, N/n, curls," William nodded at the person behind you. You turned around to see Ally, Charlie and Mathew standing there looking proud.

"Oh my god what are you guys doing here?"

"Well you did attend our graduation," Ally started.

"So it would be rude not to come to yours," Charlie finished. "And I wouldn't miss seeing Curls in a silly hat," Charlie added. William glared at Charlie causing her to stick out her tongue at him. You realised your camera was still recording, so you got everyone to bunch up and smile or do something silly. They all pulled faces and did a silly dance, minus the boys who just kinda stood there staring at the two girls. Shutting off the camera you laugh, starting to make conversation until you heared shouting behind you.

"Whats going on?" You see your mother shouting at someone, someone you couldn't see. Walking over to the ruckus you lay eyes on someone you wished would never come back.

"Hey, little sis!"

"What are you doing here?" You glared at the man. Why was your brother here?

"Can I not see my little sister on her big day?" You roll your eyes and take a step to your mothers side.

"The only reason you would come here is to get money off us!" You shout, causing you mother to flinch at the sudden aggression. Irony. His smile was forced and he was agitated, his eyes were red and dilated, he was high! This boiled your blood.

"Now, now lets not direct any attention to us," He says through gritted teeth.

"Too late, now leave," you say with a low growl.

"C'mon, sis-"

"Don't call me that! I am not your sister, you are definitely not family, you will leave us alone including dad! Never contact us again or you will face the consequences," Your voice was low, dangerously low. He straightened his back to the best of his ability and huffed.

"Fine, but don't coming crawling to me if you need help!" He shouts as he walks to a shabby looking car, driving off. You scoff and mumble to your mum.

"Like that's ever gonna happen," She filters a laugh and looks up at you. You look around to see everyone staring. Shooting a glare everyone's way they resume talking with the occasional side glance. Your group of friends walk up to you with worried faces. "Don't worry, everything is fine... I'll be heading home..." They all nod as you take your mothers hand and walk with her to the car.

"I'm sorry," The engine hums to life. You looked questioningly at your mothers apology. "I know it will take time to accept my apology, hell even consider going back to how it was before your father left, I will never forgive myself for everything I've done-" You place a hand on hers.

"I forgive you. Deep down I knew there was still the old you in there, and it doesn't matter about the past, its about the future and what we do from now on, ups and downs happen, in this case a lot of downs," She looks down sadly. "But! I forgive you, it will take time to heal, but I know I will eventually, so for now just... stay off the drinking?" You close one eye, hoping not to trigger an outburst. She sighs and nods.

"No drinking... ever again," You smile, this was a good start.