Chapter 4 - Friendships

It had been a few months and everything seemed to look up. You met with the three new friends you made every Friday after school. You learned more and more about them after every visit, Mathew was an A* student, Charlie was a computer genius and Ally was amazing at designing clothing. Jim and you were closer than ever. "Saturday," Jim said after you took your last book out your locker.

"What?" You question.

"Saturday, you, me, fairgrounds?" He holds up two tickets.

"Jim! Why would you buy tickets? You know I don't like people buying things for me," he shrugs and waved them in front of your face. "What if I say no?"

"Do you want me to beg?" You leave your locker and move down the hall with him.

"What if I do?"

"Well you won't get me to if that's what you're thinking," he says with a smirk. You pout and get to your first class.

"Fine... buuuut! I pay for food,"

"Over my dead body," Moriarty leaves you with a frown. You enter advanced Maths and sit next to William, the boy you first saw in the office. You hadn't spoken to him but you did give each other side glances when either of you answered a question.

~~~

It was Saturday and you were over the top excited. You told your mother you were headed to the local library and she just scoffed. "Bye mum! You say with a cheery tone. She mumbles a goodbye and you leave. You ride your bike down to the fair grounds and lock it up. You wait for about five minutes before Jim comes out of the crowd with two tickets in hand.

"M'lady," he says, bowing low, you giggle and take one ticket out of his hand. He guides you to the entrance, the light hearted carnival musical bursting through the grounds. Apparently every year the carnival came to town and Jim hadn't anyone to go with.

"So What first?" You scan the grounds before you lay eyes on a single prize. "Oh! Can we go there?" You point towards a little stall that held a brown teddy bear with heart shaped paw prints.

"Of course," you both make your way to the stall, it was a water gun stall, clowns with balloons on their heads, open mouths. "This is gonna be easy," you take your stand in front of a water gun each. Once the person was paid he switched on the taps and water immediately shot out. You and Jim were head to head both balloons equal size. Then they both burst at the same time.

"I win!" You smirk. Jim rolls his eyes before saying.

"No way, I definitely won that!" Jim turns towards the man who was thinking to himself.

"Sorry missy I think your boyfriend won that," you blushed crimson before stuttering.

"He's-"

"You see, babe, I won," you turn to Jim suddenly as he places a kiss on your cheek. He points towards the brown bear as his prize, you frown before he smirks and gives it to you. You grab it off him and hug it tight, smiling.

"Thanks," he grabbed your hand and brought you to the haunted house ride. "No!" You stopped half way and pouted.

"C'mon, Y/n! For me!" He gives you puppy dog eyes which you just couldn't resist. His deep brown eyes stared right into your soul, you groaned and continued to walk towards the ride, head down. "Don't be such a baby," he chuckles, you strap yourselves in, and off you went.

"Mwahahahaha!" The lights flickered and everything stood still. The evil laugh comes out from around you, a skeleton pops out and scares the actual living hell out of you. You burrow your head in your hands.

"Boo!" A man wearing zombie face paint jumps out from behind a cage.

"Ahhh!" You jump and bury your face in the crook of Jims neck. You didn't see but he blushed crimson before wrapping a protective arm around you.

~~~

"Never- never again," you stutter. Jim chuckles and shakes his head.

"Hey, at least you did it-"

"Moriarty!" You hear a bunch of older boys shout. Moriartys face drops and he's left with a cowering face.

"Jim who are they?-" Moriarty just takes your hand, you both start to run, the boys chasing. You reached the end of the fair, he starts to think before he pulls you around the corner. It was no use, the boys followed and blocked you into a corner.

"Thought you could run away, eh?" A tall boy towered both of you. "Got your little girlfriend with you? What is she gonna do? Protect you?"

"Shut up, Powers," Jim mumbles.

"What was that?" The boy cups his ears mockingly.

"I said shut up!" Moriartys eyes darkened, you never saw this side of him, it scared you.

"Oh, we feisty today, eh?" The boy shoves Jim away from you.

"Hey! Leave him alone," you get in between the two of them, your small body blocking the tall boy.

"Ooh, looks like your girlfriend is protecting you, boys," he gestures his goons towards you. They grab hold of you as an upper cut is excited to Jim's jaw. Moriarty falls to the floor as you scream for the tall boy to stop. More blows are done to Jim's faces and kicks to his rib cage.

"STOP! Stop it please!" You see a tear stream down Jim's face as you call for help, but the loud carnival music over takes your cries.

"That's what you get for talking back, Moriarty," one last kick was sent to Jim's stomach as the boys run away and you fall to the ground.

"Jim? Jim?! Are you ok?" He just chuckles as blood coughs up from his mouth.

"Perfectly ok," he tries to stand up but fails.

"No- no you're not! Who were they?" He just sighs and sits up against a stall.

"No one important," he spits out blood and you sigh.

"What were their names?" You ask looking into his chocolate eyes. "W-why? Why were they after you?" You grab his hands and wait for an answer.

"Carl, Carl Powers, and I never knew the name of his goons, but it's ok they do this all the time,"

"All the time?! James this is not ok!"

"It is- I'll be fine," he stands up, groaning, clutching his stomach. "Let's just get out of here,"

"We have to get you to a hospital," you wrap and arm around his waist, trying to support him. Keyword: trying. Everyone ignored your presence when getting out of the grounds.

"I'll be fine, let's just go back to my house, this will heal, no worries," you sigh and grab your bike.

"Fine..."