Chapter: T E N

Chapter: T E N

“I wouldn’t have sex with him even if he wasn’t in jail,”—Tavi

            You would think I was a wild animal the way they had me in this caged cell. The small cell sat at the back corner of the parole board room. Nina stood at the podium in front of the table where there were five parole members listening to my case being told. I didn’t really understand anything they were saying, but I hope it was something good.

            When the parole board member called the meeting over, Nina walked towards me with a smile on her face. She signaled for the guard standing next to the cage to let me out.

            “So what’s the smile for?” I asked as the guard signaled me to walk out.

            “Well, we got your sentenced suspended,” She cheered with joy.

            “So I can go home today?” I questioned. All I wanted was to get out of this hell hole, and me being here at the parole board meeting is one step closer.

            She scrunched up her face, “Not quite yet… Because of the many prison fights you’ve been in they’re trying to make you stay an extra year longer, but ima appeal it so you don’t have to,”

            From previous history of my old cellmates, I know that appeals can take days, weeks, months or even years. I didn’t know how to feel about this and I’m not sure if I’ll get out anytime soon, because nine times out of ten, I’ll be at the bottom of the list for an appeal.

            “Don’t get sick on me,” Nina joked at how sour my face looked, “I know an appeal can take a long time, but ya’ girl got a connect and we’ll be right back here next week getting you out with time served,”

            I nodded, “A’ight I’m countin’ on you,”

            “Now let’s get you into this room so you can sign some papers for your release and we’ll get you back to your temporary home,” She led the way to a meeting room while I tried my best to keep up with her. But the way the shackles were, they were slowing me down, but I didn’t mind.

            We got into the room and Trina was seated at the table and immediately put her phone away when we walked in. This time she was wearing a simple button down shirt and tight jeans to compliment her figure.

            “So how did it go?” She stood to her feet and pulled a chair out for me to sit down. I don’t know if she’s genuinely trying to be good to me or if she needs something the minute I get out, but hopefully she’s changed and being the good person she’s supposed to be. An evil demeanor will ruin that pretty little face of hers.

            “They suspended his sentence but hit him with charges for the prison fights,” Nina sat down, “But ima write up this appeal tonight and by this time next week we’ll be right back here,”