Chapter Fourteen: The Smelter's Nightshift

The engines on Sir Topham Hatt's Railway looked forward to the Halloween season. They all go and get to see Sir Topham Hatt's fireworks display at Callan Station and Castle. They also love to see children dressing up as wizards, witches and ghosts. It was also the first time the Josephine Railway engines got to see how they celebrate Halloween. It was rather interesting and also fun for them all.

That evening, the engines all gathered at Tidmouth Sheds, with Braedey, Diana, Liliana, Austin, Belle, and Max alongside them, and they all listened in to one of Edward's infamous ghost stories.

"They say that on Halloween, the ghost engine returns to the Smelters Yard, looking for its lost 'WHOO!! WHOO!!' whistle

"They say that on Halloween, the ghost engine returns to the Smelters Yard, looking for its lost 'WHOO!! WHOO!!' whistle..." Edward said spookily.

"OOH! AAH! SPOOKY!" The engines said, all of them shivering a little.

Braedey and Diana were still a little spooked about what happened to them with Godred's Ghost back on the Peel Godred Branch, so they were frightened by the story. Austin and Max, the two of them having not dealt with the supernatural, didn't seem to be spooked. Belle and Liliana were a little spooked, but shook it off as cold air.

Later in the evening, Sir Topham Hatt arrived at the sheds with Mr. Franklin alongside him. "Thomas and James. I have a special job for you." He said to the engines. "You are to collect some iron from the Smelters."

"On Halloween?" Thomas asked with some worry.

"Don't worry. You all will be back in time for the fireworks." Sir Topham Hatt reassured to him.

Braedey could see that Thomas was spooked about the Smelter's Yard. "Sir Topham. I'd like to help out Thomas and James for this job." He offered.

"Same here." Belle called in. "I'd like to help."

Sir Topham looked to Mr. Franklin, who nodded to him. The stout gentleman looked to the two engines. "Very well. You two shall go with Thomas and James to the Smelter's." He said. And with that, he and Mr. Franklin left for the castle in his car.

"Thomas isn't worried about missing the fireworks!" James teased out loud. "He's a scaredy engines!"

"Be quiet!" Thomas snapped back. "I am not scared!" But, he was scared, a little.

~*~*~

The Smelter's Yard. Otherwise known as the Sodor Ironworks. The Sodor Ironworks is a large metal foundry, where scrap is delivered, melted down and repurposed. It is located South of Killdane, along the Killdane Branchline.