Chapter Four: Off to Sodor

On the Josephine Railway, the life has begun to settle down to a casual pace, without being such a hassle or so. With this happening, Shadow was asked by his controller to return back to his railway. Although it was a sad departure, Shadow promised he'll come back to the railway, and maybe one day, they could come over to his. With that, Shadow headed off back to his home.

With Shadow gone, Diana decided to take Braedey's Lake District trains, with the latter taking the trains back and forth from Marion, to Barrow-in-Furness, and onward to Vicarstown. Diana was happy to help out Braedey, with the GWR 4900 engine thanking the blue Caledonian locomotive, and the two began to work very well in unison, and Diana was getting more and more confident in herself.

~*~*~

On a calm Friday morning, Braedey was making his way down to Barrow-in-Furness, the coaches behind him almost full of passengers and tourists. This run was definitely a good opportunity to stretch his wheels, and to go the distance.

"This is lovely. Clear skies, calm air, and plus, not a bad bolt in sight." Braedey smiled to himself.

Once arriving at Vicarstown, Braedey watched as the passengers disembarked the coaches, and they began to make their way to joining trains on other platforms. It was always a hive of activity here at the station, and it's definitely worth watching for enthusiasts.

Just then, Braedey could see Gordon pulling in at the other platform. But, the LNER A1 Pacific looked to be rather flustered and out of breath. He hissed steam from his pistons, and a low clunk could be heard.

"Sounds like something's broken inside you, Gordon." The blue engine's driver called from the cab. "Now, you'll really need to go to The Works."

"But... who will pull the Wild Nor' Wester?" Gordon muttered in worry.

Braedey could hear what was going on, and he knew that this 'Wild Nor' Wester' was a very important train. He gave a whistle to get the stationmaster's attention. "Sir. If you can, maybe I can take the Wild Nor' Wester to its destination? It should be pretty straightforward." He asked.

The stationmaster gave it some thought. He ran to his office to call the controller of the NWR. A few minutes later, he came back, and informed the red GWR 4900 engine that the arrangements were made.

Sure enough, Gordon limped away from the coaches, and Braedey immediately ran around, coupling up to the 'Wild Nor' Wester' train. He looked to the LNER A1 Pacific, who limped over next to him.

"Thank you so much, Braedey." Gordon thanked. "Now, all you have to do is head from Vicarstown to Knapford. It's the big station at the end of the mainline. You can't miss it."

"Of course. Happy to help." Braedey nodded. "And thanks for the directions."

Sure enough, the guard blew his whistle, and with a toot of his whistle, Braedey started to charge on out of Vicarstown.

Braedey couldn't help but marvel at the sights around him, as he made his way along. He passed through Ballahoo and Crovan's Gate, whistling hello to the narrow-gauge engines as he passed by. Braedey soon whizzed by Kellsthorpe Road, and passed through the stations of Kellaby and Balladrine at speeds of up to 60mph, the speed limit on the mainline.

Soon, Braedey arrived at Kildane Station. This wasn't a stop, but Braedey needed to top up on water for the big push. He waited for about five minutes, topping up the water in his boiler, and he was soon underway.

Braedey charged on through the station of Cronk, and he carried on. He then crossed over what was an iconic stone viaduct, with three lines of track, and he carried on. Braedey smiled at the lush and green trees and fields, seeing some farmers tending to their field and livestock, and it's a definite change of scenery. He then goes through Maron Station, and he heads towards what was nicknamed 'Gordon's Hill'.